Amputee adapting brake pedal system.

Peter21X

Hi folks,
I am hoping for your help.
My name is Peter and I have a lower left leg amputation (my braking leg). I have driven a Sprint Kart (Briggs LO206) a few times and breaking has not felt good or comfortable. I want to buy myself an LO206 kart and race as well as "test" at the local club track.
Is there a mechanism or rig you know of which I can use to not only drive but compete as a competent and safe racer.
(When I drove full sized dirt track stock cars, braking was a strength of mine and I had a feel I like but obviously don't have my foot.)

I thought about a hand brake on a hand brake mounted on the steering wheel like a motorcycle.

I have thought about a hand lever on the brake master cylinder. This option I take my left hand off the wheel to brake and turn.

I have thought about a chassis mod where I mount the brake pedal next to the throttle pedal and brake and gas with my right foot. This presents a problem with logistics of foot fitting in a small space and two pedals next to the steering shaft.

Your thoughts and input would be valuable.
Sincerely,
Peter

Hmmmm a motorcycle type break laver on the steering wheel would probably be best, but the fluid reservoir would be nearly vertical so that would be an issue. I have seen where people have put some kind of hand controls on side by sides before. Maybe try to figure out what they are using. The good thing is the brakes are hydraulic so brake line can be flexible.

I would move the brake to the right pedal and add a hand throttle...as above. Use either an ATV thumb throttle, or conventional lever. The Honda Odyssey ATV's used controls on the wheel, if that could be adapted. I raced against a driver with spina bifida who used hand controls. Contact AJ Burgess at Little Wheels Speedway in Freeville, NY for more info. He's on facebook.... I also have a "clutch" lever for kart wheels that could be adapted to be throttle instead with little issue.

1613339867215.png

Or, if you preferred, you could fabricate a floor pan mounted pedal for your remaining leg portion to use... Perhaps a cupped pedal that was padded? Might require driver suit modifications... FWIW, there was a double amputee in the roadracing series who was very successful! Kudos to staying active as a driver, and good luck! I do 3D CAD for a daily job, so if you need something designed, let me know and I'll be happy to help.

My son loves the atv thumb throttle

Attachments

• A01FEA0B-3B14-4461-9E54-222A1FC0C039.jpeg
    A01FEA0B-3B14-4461-9E54-222A1FC0C039.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 44
There's a racer here who uses hand throttle and brake controls and he is a very good dirt oval racer. In fact we had a big small block open race this summer that paid big money which drew a lot of racers from a number of states, and he kicked our butts. Message me and I will give you his contact info.

George bark always ran a regular pedal but would ride the brake and glow the rotor because he couldn’t feel it. I know he had an atv style hand brake the last few times he ran

Man, so many damn good ideas and so many replies. Thank you all.
I just picked up a kart to experiment with, if I can make a go of it I hope to get a new/newer kart for me.
I don't want to invest too much money and not be successful by my definition. That is to have my limitations not be use of brakes. Driving ability and speed are another thing. I am a realist and know my limitations. To test my limits and ability (or lack of ability, lol) I need to use the brakes.
I am an old grandpa dude who wants to have fun with my family.
If not, I'll just be support.

Man, so many damn good ideas and so many replies. Thank you all.
I just picked up a kart to experiment with, if I can make a go of it I hope to get a new/newer kart for me.
I don't want to invest too much money and not be successful by my definition. That is to have my limitations not be use of brakes. Driving ability and speed are another thing. I am a realist and know my limitations. To test my limits and ability (or lack of ability, lol) I need to use the brakes.
I am an old grandpa dude who wants to have fun with my family.
If not, I'll just be support.
I have one installed on my Open Sprint kart for the front brakes. It's great bc your hands never come off the steering wheel. It can be plumbed into the rear brake caliper. Can be mounted for right or left hand and adjusted for sensitivity. Its ur answer.

Back