Animal Block Evolution

Seems he changed his web site . The block links take you to that same page .
This is all I found .

Jimbo​

The flywheel in the picture is dangerous! if i remember correctly the total weight of that flywheel is 32 ounces. Back in the day I had a customer that had one come apart. Fortunately, no one got hurt but the thin sheet metal blower housing ended up being much larger than when it was originally installed.
These blocks were prone to cracking from the bearing pocket on the flywheel side. Briggs changed the design of the bearing pocket and the problem has virtually gone away, if you don't go nuts on horsepower.
We also saw the cylinder come off the crankcase and again Briggs made improvements to pretty much solve that problem also. I'm sure there will be all kinds of "whataboutism" but I don't like anything older than a Gen 4 block. The Gen 5 block is currently my favorite but rumor has it that there are some improvements coming to the Gen 5 also.

Or this .
Inspection of Parts:

First thing I do if it's a new or used block is debur and clean it. I use a bearing scraper and run around all the sharp edges of the side cover, head, and top of block area. The edges Briggs leaves on these blocks will cut you like a razor.

If the block is a Gen 1, 2, or 3 I inspect the bearing pocket area for cracks. Look closely in the bottom groove in the corners of the groove is typically where I have seen the cracks start. You will have to look close and make sure you have good lighting. I have even gone as far as using Dye Penetrant to check for cracks if I was unsure. If there is a crack, the dye will definitely find it.

If you find a crack, no matter how small, the block is junk. I have used all types of external bracing and welding on the inside, bottom line is, if it's cracked, you can not repair it and last for long.

Good news is, Briggs fixed the problem with the Gen 4 and 5 blocks. To this date, if there has been a problem in the bearing pocket area of the new blocks, I am unaware of it. The Gen 4 and 5 blocks also fixed a few other problems,

This is my thoughts .
Gen 1 had the flathead style coil with a funny flywheel . Gen 2 was the jr race car flywheel .
Gen 3 was pvl .
Gen 4 was fix the bearing pocket .
Gen 5 was reinforce the block .
4-5 might be blended and gen 5 was something else altogether like the head change .

1641056772960.png

1641057096468.png

Hope this helps

Back