Animal Blue coil resistance test?

I do know it should be niether open or full short .
Im thinking it should be above a flathead which is 5k

I checked the resistance on several Animal Blue coils I have and they all tested right around 7000 ohms. The coil on the engine that had the misfire last Sunday tested at 17000 ohms, so I'm going to venture a guess that is my misfire. We won't know for sure until next Sunday when we try the new coil. I hope I got it fixed.

I checked the resistance on several Animal Blue coils I have and they all tested right around 7000 ohms. The coil on the engine that had the misfire last Sunday tested at 17000 ohms, so I'm going to venture a guess that is my misfire. We won't know for sure until next Sunday when we try the new coil. I hope I got it fixed.
Check the wire ends closely and see if the boot has been pulled loose (especially at the coil end.)
If you've been using your plug wire as a kill switch, this is common.
Pull it apart, clean well, then reassemble and check ohm resistance again and see if it checks out.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian,

Funny that you brought that up. I was just thinking that myself. I've seen that happen on snowmobiles many times. I'm going to check it out! Thanks!

Check the wire ends closely and see if the boot has been pulled loose (especially at the coil end.)
If you've been using your plug wire as a kill switch, this is common.
Pull it apart, clean well, then reassemble and check ohm resistance again and see if it checks out.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
i had one not want to start the morning of race day. Thinking to myself man i didn't weld on the car this week, i killed another coil? pulled the wire off the plug to do the screw driver and jump it across and whole thing just came off the coil when i was trying to get the screw driver in. Didn't even know these style were made like that. Learning everyday

And last night on the dyno we had a mis/bog in the mid range. Fought it for over and hour. Turns out the coil is ok, plug wire is bad. Guess commenting on this post was bad mojo

As a follow-up, the coil that tested at 17,000 ohms was in fact the problem. Put a coil on that tested at 7000 ohms and that engine runs perfectly now.
Before you pitch the old coil, do us all a favor and swap plug wires and let us know the resistance then. I am just wondering if it was the plug wire or connector rather than the coil itself.

PVL coil failures are rare, but they can occur.

Before you pitch the old coil, do us all a favor and swap plug wires and let us know the resistance then. I am just wondering if it was the plug wire or connector rather than the coil itself.

PVL coil failures are rare, but they can occur.

Does the plug wire thread down into the coil on a stud shaped like a sheet metal screw, or is it attached some other way? That's how snowmobile coils attach the plug wires. I made an attempt to get the coil wire out, but I didn't work at it very hard. Please 'splain it to me and I'll try again. At $100+ a pop, I'd be tickled to death if it's just the wire and not the coil!

Ignore my previous message, I figured it out.

You were right, it's just the wire! the coil is fine.

Can I buy wires made up or do I have to make them? If I make them, is there someplace I can buy the end that goes in the coil?

Ignore my previous message, I figured it out.

You were right, it's just the wire! the coil is fine.

Can I buy wires made up or do I have to make them? If I make them, is there someplace I can buy the end that goes in the coil?
Glad you got it figured out.
I "think" it's PN: 555719.
We should have them in stock.
It MUST be the stock wire and ends to be L206 legal.

This was more common when using the plug wire to shut the engine off on the animal engines in years past. I haven't seen it as much with the L206, BUT as tight as the plug end fits, I'm not surprised that the other end can accidentally get pulled apart.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Brian, are they a solid core wire? The wire I pulled out had over 1000 ohms of resistance. I'm thinking they should be nearly zero If they're solid core.

Brian, are they a solid core wire? The wire I pulled out had over 1000 ohms of resistance. I'm thinking they should be nearly zero If they're solid core.
You could always cut it and find out.
I have not pulled one apart or cut one to find out.
Just about every failure I have seen has been the coil end of the wire not fully connected, which gave varying ohm resistance reading.

Back