Animal Blue coil resistance test?

This off a older animal 05 model .
Definitely carbon core with stainless sheild .
Even had the staple in it .

Attachments

• 16352721801235824383133440112549.jpg
    16352721801235824383133440112549.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 16352723037823201074750187694049.jpg
    16352723037823201074750187694049.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 19
I checked the resistance on several Animal Blue coils I have and they all tested right around 7000 ohms. The coil on the engine that had the misfire last Sunday tested at 17000 ohms, so I'm going to venture a guess that is my misfire. We won't know for sure until next Sunday when we try the new coil. I hope I got it fixed.
Question. Did you use a digital gauge or analog ?
I got some erouniuos readings with my digital .
Varing from 6k-11k .
On the boat cdi ignition they recommend analog .
Or a digital converter .

Question. Did you use a digital gauge or analog ?
I got some erouniuos readings with my digital .
Varing from 6k-11k .
On the boat cdi ignition they recommend analog .
Or a digital converter .
I have one of each, but in this case I used the digital gauge. I'm not trying to nit-pick your work, but what were you checking that makes you believe your digital was erroneous? For what it's worth, I've resistance checked snowmobile coils that the reading fluctuated while I was connected to it. In fact, if I suspect a bad coil on a snowmobile I'll leave my ohm-meter connected to it, heat it up with a blow dryer and watch where the reading goes the whole time it's heating and cooling back down. Over the years I've found a few coils that checked out good initially, but after monitoring them a while the resistance reading would vary up and down as I'm hooked to it. I've found both secondary coils and stator coils that were bad this way. I can't see any reason this wouldn't work on an Animal coil as well.

On the other hand, you have me wondering now. The next time I check the resistance on something I'm going to use both my digital and analog meters and see if I get the same thing!

Each time i checked it gave a differnt reading . of course this is a coil i suspected as bad , and replaced .
It would also show say 11k then fall to zero . I think ill dig up a analog just for fun .
so maybe it really was bad .
Nice idea with the blow dryer .

Each time i checked it gave a differnt reading . of course this is a coil i suspected as bad , and replaced .
It would also show say 11k then fall to zero . I think ill dig up a analog just for fun .
so maybe it really was bad .
Nice idea with the blow dryer .
I'd sooner think your digital meter was fine, and the coil itself was bad.

Using an ohmmeter to test components like ignition coils has it's limitations.
When testing the primary coil with a very low specification, typically somewhere between .5 to 2 ohms, it's difficult to diagnose a short circuit.
Open circuits is much more concrete.
When testing the secondary coil with a specification in the thousands it can also give you false information simply because you don't make a good connection. Getting different results or varying readings is often the result of poor connections or corrosion.
You need to really scratch the meters test leads into the terminals you want to test.
I'm sorry to say that Oftentimes replacing the suspected bad part is the ultimate test.

Back