Animal BP vs 206 Super Stock

Rope starting a low compression flat head is way different than rope starting an engine with higher compression.
In the early days of the Animal i tried to pull start and engine on my dyno.
I ended up with a bloody middle finger when the rope got ripped out of my hand and also a bloody nose when my fist hit me in the nose. The starter handle got ripped out of my hand and i punched my self in the nose.
Go ahead and laugh, i am too but at the time it wasn't so funny.
:D :D :D

Peak HP is around 6200 rpms and starts to take a serious nose dive after 7500 rpms.
The fastest way around the track at RA is with about a 7600 rpm.
If someone wants to run it at 8000 he's going to get passed.

I'm thinking bigger picture Jim, if this engine would become adopted in other series including oval there are many different track configurations. Not one RPM fits all tracks! Not trying to be difficult here Jim, just trying to turn over all stones. Based on our testing of this engine, we also seen a serious power drop off at 7600, but that was because of valve float. The Selected camshaft is designed for big big RPM levels.........many times engine builders try to dub down the RPM to prolong reliability. But I've said this before if an engine will run high RPM's that's where most racers will go! The power loss at 7600 in the attached dyno curve ( unfiltered ) is the result of valve float. Disregard the red curve, that is a bone stock LO206 except with a red coil.

Super Stock 206 - Dyno test comparison.JPG

Last edited:
I'm thinking bigger picture Jim, if this engine would become adopted in other series including oval there are many different track configurations. Not one RPM fits all tracks! Not trying to be difficult here Jim, just trying to turn over all stones. Based on our testing of this engine, we also seen a serious power drop off at 7600, but that was because of valve float. The Selected camshaft is designed for big big RPM levels.........many times engine builders try to dub down the RPM to prolong reliability. But I've said this before if an engine will run high RPM's that's where most racers will go! The power loss at 7600 in the attached dyno curve ( unfiltered ) is the result of valve float. Disregard the red curve, that is a bone stock LO206 except with a red coil.

View attachment 8951

Steve, I have built this basic engine (an-mod-1, ARC rod, Havoc domed piston ordered from Jimbo at the time, AND green stripe 2X Dyno springs.)
It DEFINITELY liked rpm, but keeping it cool was a challenge at best. Where your graph falls off the cliff, the springs kept it flat out to 8800 rpm+ with absolutely NO valve float (well, as little as one could expect anyways.)

I've had no problem with it getting too hot at the track on methanol. The engines i have done were using stock used 206 heads and have no head gasket issues. The reason i mention the fact that they are used 206 heads is because they had some warpage to start with and still have not had an issue with them.

There definitely is more HP to be had. JUST ADD MONEY but this package is designed to be as inexpensive as possible while increasing the fun factor. It makes just under 40% more HP than a SR LO 206.
Going home from the track early with a hole in the front of the block because you ran your engine at 9200 is not fun.
In my opinion you can keep your Tilly carbs for other applications. For many of today's racers it's not the carb to use.

What’s the recommended hours in between rebuilds on the piston/rings and the rod approximately? I know you mentioned not replacing valve springs but have they required any maintenance as far as piston/rings or rod?

When using an older LO206 as a base is the oil clearance on the rod usually in spec without any machining or replacement of the crank?

I have made numerous animal conversions from LO 206. Generally the cranks do not wear much. But I have also seen some excessive wear and destruction caused by "hot oil" .

I've really enjoyed this thread and decided it's time to chime. At my urging the Northern Nevada Kart Club has adopted this package for the masters/heavy class this year. Our track is 3/4 mile 9 turn sprint track and I've got tell you every one that has tried the ss206 wants one! I am the biggest fan since I'm a tinkerer ,have built 2 and working on the third one. Great package as is and Jim couldn't have been more helpful. This is my first experience using methanol and love how much cooler they run. The only tempting change would be using the WF coil for longevity. First time post, just my 2 cents from out west.

The only tempting change would be using the WF coil for longevity.
I'm not promoting the 7100 red WF coil one way or the other, its up to the racers. But that reduction in RPM to 7100 max would significantly improve the durability / reliability and increase time between rebuilds of the SS206 engine package! Failure rates increase exponentially as RPM increases.
Additionally, the peak power range for this engine is between 5500 and 7000 RPM anyhow.Everyone already knows that for Sprint Racing rev limiter racing can be successful.............LO206! You can try both coils very easy...they can be swapped out in minutes.
Most engine builders would probably prefer the blue 12,000 rpm coil......LOL

Steve
www.Bakerracingengines.com

Last edited:
I realize that none of us are racing currently, but can we hear some car counts at some of these tracks that have adopted the SS206?

Exactly what kind of car counts are there (ie how many of these SS engines are there really out there?)
Brian, I'm hearing like 2 to 3 at a few tracks around the country. Maybe some of the racers will chime in on this question.
I'm sure Jim has pretty accurate numbers since he is the sole source supplier of the DED piston.

Steve

Last edited:
Brian, I'm hearing like 2 to 3 at a few tracks around the country. Maybe some of the racers will chime in on this question.
I'm sure Jim has pretty accurate numbers since he is the sole source supplier of the DED piston.

Steve

Jimbo would have the numbers of piston sales (and/or kits sold), but I am more interested in the actual number of racers suing this package at particular tracks.

This number wouldn't include engines currently running the kit (or piston) in stock classes, s/a builds, mini-bikes, etc.

The few engines like this that I have built are all for backyard tracks , mild S/A animal class, and a one off experiment. I don't know of any of them that were used in actual SS class racing.

With all the current interest...
I'm just curious how many are running this class across the country. This SS package has been available for several years now.

I'm just curious how many are running this class across the country. This SS package has been available for several years now.
[/QUOTE

I understand Brian...all I've heard is that Road America in Wisconsin had like 8 of them a few years years ago then it dwindled down to 3 last year. I think Terry Nash in California is trying to get it built up, but i don't know how many he has racing. Maybe Terry will post something, but Jim should know all this and have the most accurate car counts.

Steve

Steve
You can buy the piston from DED. Jimbo sells it cheaper but, they do sell it.

Well i guess we done rung this puppy out ( 8 pages )! I'ts going to take more than a hand full of old racers on here posting all this stuff to get it off the ground. If the SS206 ever has a chance at all of going anywhere it's going to need a series / organization to adopt it and add a few classes. Over and out...........

Steve

Assuming we're going to get back to racing at some point.... We're going to run our home-built super stocks in the open class because currently nobody is running in it. That gives us a chance to try out different ideas, get some track time with them, and let others at the track see how they run. That's the way we did it last year and it worked pretty well.

Back