Animal BP vs 206 Super Stock

4 cycle open class on a sprint track only restriction is that it must be pull start....I kinda like it Brett!

Well... I actually start mine with an electric starter. I wanted to go with a billet cam and no compression release. My son just built one with the compression release and recoil start. It will interesting to see how they compare.

Im with Jimbo----206 SS class is made for economics as well as power boost--- throw money at anything to enhance your own situation----- this is for natural , easy, less expensive way to go faster than the 206 program you raced in for two years or so. In the testing I have done on methanol, with some less than flat heads, no head gasket issues.

Like I said earlier----in so. cal. tri-c karters added class this year as exhibition. Prize money and gifts to year end winner. I have built 5 ss 206 engines for this venue---also I have built 3 ss 206 engines for the dirt speedway a Perris. The drivers report when we ran in Feb. was very positive---the last Sprint race of 2019 we ran three in exihibition, the feed back was it pulled like a ka 100 on high speed corners. It was very quick with the 6.0 rears.

Right now, this is in its infancy. I still haven’t figured out what real draw will be for racers. The 206 has proven it’s not all about going fast. It’s not a factory kit. It has no tangible national support. That means it’s up to racers to create a buzz just like your doing in Cali. Down here, I think the best approach is to come out on practice days and show off.
Several times already, in vintage, groups have come together to go practice at a facility. It creates a buzz, it makes track owners see dollars. To get things going, there’s no reason to worry about rules just yet.
I think once some of the guys who drag they’re old animals out, and run up against the SS, they’re gonna look at it and say “WTF.. is that”.

Like I said earlier----in so. cal. tri-c karters added class this year as exhibition. Prize money and gifts to year end winner. I have built 5 ss 206 engines for this venue---also I have built 3 ss 206 engines for the dirt speedway a Perris. The drivers report when we ran in Feb. was very positive---the last Sprint race of 2019 we ran three in exihibition, the feed back was it pulled like a ka 100 on high speed corners. It was very quick with the 6.0 rears.

Thanks Terry! Keep us updated as time goes on and share some of the tech data with us, max RPM's, head temps,oil type, # of laps, time between rebuilds............etc,etc.
If CKNA would add this class we ( Baker Racing Engines ) would consider loaning out a few of these engines for that series!

Is Dan Pellizzari on board with the SS206 program, Dan was a big supporter of the Briggs Racing in California and I think you and him was on the IKF tech team together?

Steve

Last edited:
I'm sending a complete Super Stock to a guy at GO PRO today to see if they like it.
I know what the answer to that is going to be.
I am also sending another kit to Reno today to add to the number in the new class they are starting there.

Jim,
What’s the recommended hours in between rebuilds on the piston/rings and the rod approximately? I know you mentioned not replacing valve springs but have they required any maintenance as far as piston/rings or rod? Would the expectations be similar to an alky animal and/or pro gas?

I have purposely ran them locally for the complete season to see if there were any issues but haven't had any rod, piston or ring issues.
We did break a rocker arm on one engine and lost a side cover gasket also.
I'd say it's going to depend on how hard you run them and under what conditions.
I'd say if you are going to spin it up to 8000 you may be asking for issues.
Locally, at Road America 7600 gets the job done.
Peak HP is right around 6200
It never hurts to open op a motor like this and check the rod bearings and bolts periodically.
The piston is made from 2618 aluminum so it is very bullet proof. The rings are OEM Briggs and we know how good they are.
It uses the stock Briggs wrist pin also so absolutely nothing to be concerned about there either.
The rules allow you to choose either a Briggs WF rod or an ARC rod.
When using an ARC rod 6249 has been my choice for some time.

Last edited:
I'm sending a complete Super Stock to a guy at GO PRO today to see if they like it.
I know what the answer to that is going to be.
I am also sending another kit to Reno today to add to the number in the new class they are starting there.

Jimbo who did you talk to at GoPro?
I was there today shaking down a WF and I’ll probably be back there doing test and tune for Kart Carolina Thursday or Friday.

Got it

And I’ll tell you guys what I just sent to Jimbo. The Super Stock and World Formula are just plain fun to drive.
If you race just for trophy’s and points or so you can be the biggest frog in the mud puddle, it’s probably not for you.
If you race for the challenge and the thrill of diving down into corner not entirely sure if you’ll come back out the other side.... you’ll dig it.

Got it

And I’ll tell you guys what I just sent to Jimbo. The Super Stock and World Formula are just plain fun to drive.
If you race just for trophy’s and points or so you can be the biggest frog in the mud puddle, it’s probably not for you.
If you race for the challenge and the thrill of diving down into corner not entirely sure if you’ll come back out the other side.... you’ll dig it.
I agree with you 1000% on that BT! At my first race with my home-built super stock, It was me, my son, and my neighbor buddy/racer. I talked my son and neighbor into putting Yamaha engines on their karts that I had setting on the shelf so I could get an idea how my engine would compare to the Yammie. I thought my super stock would be close to them, but figured they would still outrun me. It's just us three racing, we entered the open class. I'm starting on pole for the first heat. At the drop of the green I'm expecting both of them to blow by me as we're going down the main straight. Instead, as we're going into Turn 2, I can't even hear them any more! I ended up winning the first heat by a pretty good margin. When we came off the track, everyone was telling me they couldn't believe how fast that Animal was, but no one was more shocked than me. After that, every time we went out on the track everyone was at the fence watching us.

This thread has been a wealth of information, and if it's any sign for the future I think the idea of a super stock class is gaining momentum. I understand that if this ever turns into a national class the rules will need to be very strict to maintain a level playing field, otherwise the racer with the deepest pockets will do all the winning. But for our local class, I'm kind of hoping if the idea does take off we can keep it a little looser so we have room to experiment with our engines. Either way, it's all good!

Congratulations and thank you to Scott Currier and Roger Little for purchasing complete 206 Super Stock engines last week.
Also congratulations and thank you to Giovanni Medina for purchasing his third kit to build his own motor.

Do we have an organization or series that has adopted this engine package yet? It needs to happen for this program to get off the ground! Get out there and promote it..................

Steve

Congratulations to Trent Schroeder and Brian Klemme for purchasing 206 Super Stock motors and Russell Rosario for purchasing 206 super stock kit.
fun, fun, fun

Back