animal build questions from a first timer

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
how do i know which ring is the top ring..
why should i use the wrist pin that i have an not the new one??
my new piston has no ring locator to hold the wrist pin in place??
I'll be here all night

OK, guessing the ring that overlaps it self is the top ring.. also "dots up" will start filing top ring.
any advise is greatly appreciated

youtube is a wonderful thing.. took me 6 videos to get the exact answer i was looking for, but got the rings on ...

back to the piston, with some force i could press my pin in the rod and piston, (with my hands) but there is no clip to keep it in the piston, and no cut out for a snap ring to set in.. do i have to worry about the wrist pin sliding to one side and cutting into the cylinder wall????

What kind of piston do you have? All of the briggs pistons I buy have the clips to retain the in the box. Burris pistons come with them too. Also the top ring is the one with the silver edge. The second ring should be all the same color.

youtube is a wonderful thing.. took me 6 videos to get the exact answer i was looking for, but got the rings on ...

back to the piston, with some force i could press my pin in the rod and piston, (with my hands) but there is no clip to keep it in the piston, and no cut out for a snap ring to set in.. do i have to worry about the wrist pin sliding to one side and cutting into the cylinder wall????

Yes you have to worry about the wrist pin moving.
If there are no circlips and no grooves.
It must need buttons. I have cut some from nylon with no issues, ie: cutting board .
Think faster motors has them.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the notes, it has the plugs, and my supply guy has assured me that i have the right parts and he is giving me great guidance ... he's even hooking me up with the ring i screwed up.. i read the info wrong / misunderstood... and filed my ring to .030 should have been .002-.004 OOPS..
anyone need a special blow by ring LOL

Do you have the dome piston Fastermotors sells? Those and the Havoc pistons both use HDPE buttons instead of clips to hold the wrist pin in place, which I like alot more than the clips, much easier to get the piston off the rod that way

Back