Animal carb on meth vs wf carb on gas?

Dav

Hey! reading the post about methanol has got me wanting to try this fuel. And I have found a can of vp m1 in town at one of the auto parts stores. I have a pz22 carb. Just need a methanol jet kit from Briggs. Let me what you think will b faster animal on meth or wf carb on gas.

Methanol is less sensitive to being too rich. Meaning power is affected less.
You may dilute your oil, but still make good power.
Engine temperature can be controlled by being slightly more or less rich.

Is it worth it?

Absolutely.

Have run methanol for years in karts, 600 micro sprints and full sized sprint cars that I have been crew chief or crewed on; would not run gas in any of them, if there is a choice. As long as you have supply options satisfactory to you, methanol is the way to go, imo.

Hey! reading the post about methanol has got me wanting to try this fuel. And I have found a can of vp m1 in town at one of the auto parts stores. I have a pz22 carb. Just need a methanol jet kit from Briggs. Let me what you think will b faster animal on meth or wf carb on gas.
I already replied to your other post asking the same thing...
WF carb is bigger so of course it will make power (regardless of gas vs methanol.)
For the best power, use methanol in the WF carb. You already mentioned that you need to purchase jets, etc, might as well buy them for the bigger carb of the two. Now, port matching, manifold, and the rest of your build may dictate just how much more power will be made. There's more to it than simply bolting on a bigger carb.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I already replied to your other post asking the same thing...
WF carb is bigger so of course it will make power (regardless of gas vs methanol.)
For the best power, use methanol in the WF carb. You already mentioned that you need to purchase jets, etc, might as well buy them for the bigger carb of the two. Now, port matching, manifold, and the rest of your build may dictate just how much more power will be made. There's more to it than simply bolting on a bigger carb.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Brian is correct. Bigger carb, on methanol equals more power.

We run methanol on my daughters junior dragster, My NHRA Pro Stock drag car, a built Predator 212 kart motor, a built animal, and a Kart City open senior animal. Our Predator runs a 28mm flat slide Mikuni with 195/360 jets. Maintenance is minimal as long as you DO NOT run top lube. Just use straight M1 meth. We buy it buy the 55 gallon drum for 190 per drum. Run oil designed for alcohol/meth motors. We use Royal Purple XPR 5w20 in every meth motor we run except our NHRA Pro Stock drag car. You need to change your oil more often. In the Jr dragster we change it every 7-10 passes, Pro Stock car every 6 events or every 3rd weekend regardless of number of passes, in the kart motors every 50 laps on the 1/5 mile track. If the cars are only gonna sit for a week, we leave them in the trailer and dont do anything. If its several week we will run gas/mystery oil mix into the motor until it runs like crap and then shut it off and leave it.

We run methanol on my daughters junior dragster, My NHRA Pro Stock drag car, a built Predator 212 kart motor, a built animal, and a Kart City open senior animal. Our Predator runs a 28mm flat slide Mikuni with 195/360 jets. Maintenance is minimal as long as you DO NOT run top lube. Just use straight M1 meth. We buy it buy the 55 gallon drum for 190 per drum. Run oil designed for alcohol/meth motors. We use Royal Purple XPR 5w20 in every meth motor we run except our NHRA Pro Stock drag car. You need to change your oil more often. In the Jr dragster we change it every 7-10 passes, Pro Stock car every 6 events or every 3rd weekend regardless of number of passes, in the kart motors every 50 laps on the 1/5 mile track. If the cars are only gonna sit for a week, we leave them in the trailer and dont do anything. If its several week we will run gas/mystery oil mix into the motor until it runs like crap and then shut it off and leave it.
That’s 3.45 a gallon. Very good price. Do u use a hand held starter on all your methanol kart engines?

That’s 3.45 a gallon. Very good price. Do u use a hand held starter on all your methanol kart engines?
We do use a hand held starter on all the kart engines and the Jr Dragster engine. Methanol is very reasonable. Everyone says you use twice as much as gasoline but realisticly its about 30% more.

You are not doing the bores/hone and rings any justice by letting that stuff sit. Flush it out at the end of the day/night with the gas/mystery oil mix every time to get the most out of your investment.

You are not doing the bores/hone and rings any justice by letting that stuff sit. Flush it out at the end of the day/night with the gas/mystery oil mix every time to get the most out of your investment.
Dose methanol etch the cylinder if it sits till dried?

Dose methanol etch the cylinder if it sits till dried?
Not sure if etch is the correct term... Its hydroscopic and the cylinders are crap. When you shut your kart off a little methanol pools on top of the piston and attracts moisture and will start to eat the cylinder wall within 4 days

If? Methanol increased my 15 hp ( guessing) hot rod world formula .5 to 1 hp through its rpm curve. My kart should pick up .3 of a second on the sprint track I run at. I believe it takes 3 hp increase to run a second quicker. After studying engine and weight combo’s with about 8 different fast drivers that run the different classes. A methanol engine look’s expensive to set up. Dyno tuned carb, hand held starter. And the fuel cost alone in my area. And that’s not including what it dose to engine life. And any mistakes made in care and feeding of the engine. this last Thursday I pulled 8447 rpm, 65.7 mph at the end of the long straight. as I log laps and keep making little changes. It gets a little better. I’m in the 8400 rpm lawnmower club. Lol.

Alcohol is considerably more forgiving when it comes to tuning. The engine runs cooler being a big benefit, and you can utilize higher compression ratio when using 112 or 114 octane methanol without running hot like race gas can cause. Methanol has a flash point of 51*F and creates a larger flame kernel due to volume alone. It also has other benefits inside the combustion chamber (tumble, swirl, atomization when suspended, etc.) Then there are the safety benefits to consider. It's also easier to tech (if you even care about fuel tech.) I would prefer an alcohol 10X over gas, especially when it comes to fueling a race engine. Locally it's not much more expensive than pump gas and certainly much cheaper than equivalent race gas. To me, anyway, the benefits are definitely worth the effort.

If? Methanol increased my 15 hp ( guessing) hot rod world formula .5 to 1 hp through its rpm curve. My kart should pick up .3 of a second on the sprint track I run at. I believe it takes 3 hp increase to run a second quicker. After studying engine and weight combo’s with about 8 different fast drivers that run the different classes. A methanol engine look’s expensive to set up. Dyno tuned carb, hand held starter. And the fuel cost alone in my area. And that’s not including what it dose to engine life. And any mistakes made in care and feeding of the engine. this last Thursday I pulled 8447 rpm, 65.7 mph at the end of the long straight. as I log laps and keep making little changes. It gets a little better. I’m in the 8400 rpm lawnmower club. Lol.
A methanol engine quite easy to maintain. You change oil frequently which the engine loves. Cleaning the carb after race day is quite simple. All you do is run a mixture of marvel mystery and regular pump gas until it runs like crap, shut it off drain and you are ready for next race day. As long as you maintain your methanol engine it will give you a longevity between builds. I have flatheads sitting on my shelf that hasn't been built in over 10 years that I would still feel comfortable enough to mount and race to this day.

I believe it takes 3 hp increase to run a second quicker.
that sounds awfully optimistic unless the kart already has a low HP, maybe single digits. There’s a point of diminishing returns to consider of course, but I don’t think you’re at the point yet.

Tinker with methanol and a little nitro, that’ll spice it up. Just keep a close eye on temps, cautious on ignition advance and be methodical about how much nitro you test with.

Back