animal compression

What is a good psi reading for compression on a Briggs animal. New to the animal world but I think I got hosed on a "2 race old" with bad rings. Thanks

Engine ran but never showed full power and quit only a few laps in. White smoke, Bone white but damp plug (I suspect from oil).

110lbs with a compression gauge should be adequate.
I've rode our animals pretty hard ring seal was never a real problem to the point it would not run.
what fuel? coil going bad is a pain to chase down.
do you have previous experience with animals.
leak down will tell a lot.
carbs get mucked up easy after alky has been left is just a short time.

This was our first race with an animal. I compression tested the motor and got 145psi. Tested backup motor just to confirm and got 160 psi on that one. These number are great so Unsure why I am getting smoke. But the power loss I am guessing is fuel related. Methanol fuel.

It could just be real fat on the idle and methanol built up in the pipe. Did it idle much? Diluted oil?

If the engine was built with low tension rings, that will make them smoke for a few races. If the carb is not clean, left with methanol in it, that will cause it to not run right or shut off, not idle very well. First thing most people do is clean the carb. Might just be a piece of trash in the carb someplace.

Back