Animal cutting out

sparkin06

I've got an animal (actually 2) that seem to want to cut out after qualifying during the actual race. I can go out every practice and qualify with no problems then as soon as the main starts it quits on me. Sounds as it running out of fuel then just maybe will jump back if not completely die. Fuel is running out of the carb as its flooding sometimes not every time. I've tried 2 different carbs and the same thing plays out of both. New needles and new floats and gskts, cleaned and flushed after each race night and sprayed with Wd40 or triflo also....I'm really lost here...any ideas?:confused:

If you use methanol for fuel there is a chance that the float will absorb some fuel and then NOT FLOAT as it should.
Resetting the float level won't solve the problem.
The float should not weigh more than 8 grams but you probably don't have a grams scale.
The only option in that case is "When in doubt, throw it out"
They seemed to really get saturated after someone ran gas through the engine to flush out the methanol and then left the gas in the carb.
Bernie is 100% correct on having too hot of a spark plug causing real problems.
You don't want a spark plug with a heat range greater than 9 for a Champion spark plug. You can cross reference that to what ever brand of plug you are using.

Well jimbo I don't have a gram scale but I did replace the floats and needles and they still did the same thing... I do flush with gas but also empty the bowl. Can dirt be pulled through the throttle cable cap and cause this?

We had a similar problem and found the float was rubbing on the inside of the carb and hanging up. Bent the float in to the center a bit and reset height and all good...

Yes dirt can get through the throttle cable.
As Bernie suggested, what spark plug are you using and what heat range?
A suggestion would be to use an Autolite 3910X.
It will increase performance slightly because it sticks in the combustion chamber farther and builds more compression.

The valve cover and overflow are not plumbed together and I am using the 3910 on both motors. I've adjusted the floats with a caliper I've adjusted float height and float drop....I don't have the float tool

How fresh is the engine?
Any chance that the head gasket is leaking when the engine gets warm (heat race as opposed to hot laps & qualis?)
What are you setting the float drop at? The drop tab on a lot of the Briggs logo carbs slides over the top of the post (especially on rough tracks.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz

www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on FaceBook
29 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

In the first post, you state this is on two engines. This has to be that you are making the same incorrect setting on both engines (for instance float height) or it is external to the engine. Why do you have 3 fuel filters on the kart? I bet the problem is not overflowing of the carb but actually not getting enough fuel to the engines. One fuel filter is enough. Make sure your fuel line is not sucking air from the multiple connections for 3 fuel filters. Might even have a filter that is clogged or cracked allowing air into the fuel system. I have even seen a piece of plastic in the tank from when it was originally drilled and threaded cause fuel flow problems. Every Animal or 206 that I have ever had leaked a slight amount of fuel out of the carb overflow tube if it is set correctly. Some more than others. Run new fuel line from the tank to the pump then to the carb and see what happens. Then add one fuel filter if that works.

I started off with 1 filter after the pump (new filter) and found a spec of dirt under the needle so I added another before the pump. I've changed everything out now(new lines and filter after the pump) I'll try it out tomorrow. The problem is alot of overflow not just a little though

Back