Animal cutting out

I GOT IT FIXED!!! The tank vent was the first problem, but then it got worse as I couldn't even make 1 lap last weekend. Come to find out, the other demon was the float height (yes I did check it before) it was not set right. Why does the needle have a spring loaded pin on the back? (GRRRR....THE NEXT PROBLEM) The float was actually set to high (or low) however you see it, because the float was pushed down on the spring pin. I went back and set it very carefully, now the hog will run full blast no problems. This motor sure got lucky not to become my new boat anchor!!!

Good job .
I guess there was a new employee with a bright idea. Double spring loaded needle that's really neat...:)

Another option to resolve all the needle spring issues is use the clone solid needle. Just shorten it to correct length and crown the end with a scotch brite wheel. Did this for years back in the WKA BP Animal days, works great for Methanol Animal engines. Owe yea and its legal per the carb specs.

Steve

Another option to resolve all the needle spring issues is use the clone solid needle. Just shorten it to correct length and crown the end with a scotch brite wheel. Did this for years back in the WKA BP Animal days, works great for Methanol Animal engines. Owe yea and its legal per the carb specs.

Steve

Never considered that at all. Certainly eliminates corroded, seized needles. Do you change float height to compensate for the lack of a spring?

Just to be clear. That it will not be legal for a LO 206.:)

Never considered that at all. Certainly eliminates corroded, seized needles. Do you change float height to compensate for the lack of a spring?

We set the float height at .850 with this needle..........works great. Note also as Jimbo stated, this is not legal for Local Option program, only for the BP Animal specs.

Also for you thrifty racers, don't ever throw your old floats away! They never wear out they just absorb fuel, just let them air out for a few days and reinstall them. If you have a gram scale they should weigh about 7.5 to 7.6 grams. The float will out last the engine.........

Steve

You can set the float where ever you like on a 206. Changing to a different needle or modifying the needle is not.

CHECK THE COIL AND FLYWHEEL GAP!!! This sounds all to familiar as I've been through something close to this. I changed carbs, heads, kill switches, etc and still no success in my left hand turns (sprint racing). Pulled the shroud off and notice scrape marks on the flywheel. I re-gapped and problem was solved. It was so small a clearance that it would ground out by physically touching the flywheel when I turned left but when I'd get back on the straights the motor would pick back up. Drove me nuts! Something to check just in case.

Radial play would exaggerate the close coil gap.
Though not real common on the ball bearing cranks . A worn shaft , loose or cracked bearing pocket even a loose bearing would add the too issue.

Back