Animal engine identification

TheZapper

Hello everyone new to the 4 cycle karting and I picked up this Briggs animal engine . Nos engine but it’s a older animal. I’ve heard there is different versions of this engine .

Last edited:
You likely have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 engine. It is for sure an older one.
Flywheel and ignition are different on the current Gen 5 model that's been out for 10 years or more now.
Now, the good news might be that the carburetor you have could be a highly sought after one that has a slightly larger venturi.
Any other questions, feel free to give us a call or drop me a message here.

If you're needing any parts, or any work done to this engine, keep us in mind.
We still work on plenty of animals in our shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

You likely have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 engine. It is for sure an older one.
Flywheel and ignition are different on the current Gen 5 model that's been out for 10 years or more now.
Now, the good news might be that the carburetor you have could be a highly sought after one that has a slightly larger venturi.
Any other questions, feel free to give us a call or drop me a message here.

If you're needing any parts, or any work done to this engine, keep us in mind.
We still work on plenty of animals in our shop.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Any nuggets like that you care to drop for world formula carbs?

What do you plan on doing with the motor? In a stock class the older versions will work fine, for a highly modified motor not so much. Very early ones had some bad flywheels and a very tinny blower housing. Newer animals were also upgraded with a better crankshaft. Early intake manifolds did not align to the intake port very well without enlarging the mounting holes. In any racing application the rocker arms and some associated parts should be upgraded as well......I think that covers it all.

Any nuggets like that you care to drop for world formula carbs?
I've never done enough WF engines to be able to sort carbs. There are differences to be sure, but I couldn't tell you without measuring/flowing them which is good or great. There are some particular animal/206 carb serial numbers that are sought after. Maybe Jimbo or someone else could suggest what visual identifiers to look for on the WF carbs.

If you are using a WF carb on an animal It will definite upgrade. Some stock appearing classes allow them. I also bore them out for even more performance. I also have an intake manifold that works great for that conversion.

Hello and thanks for the replies. So I took it apart more to see what kind of motor I have and it looks to be a gen 1 or 2 like Carlson motorsports mentioned. What am I looking for on the carb? I’m not racing it in a club but I am racing it against my friends on practice days. I wanted to fine tune this engine and fix the weak points. What would I be looking at to make this engine faster than a club level Honda 6.5 hp engine. I’d be happy if I could tune this motor to 10-12 hp and I’d like it to run on pump gas is this possible ? Please let me know what I should do thanks

Last edited:
It is an early engine . The coil is a dead give away . The plastic shroud affair was dropped early on . The clutch jammer at the time was top motch . It likely won't hold up too much abuse .
Brian will know more for sure .
I would say fill it with oil and gas and hit the track .
The updates are improvements , mostly for strength .
Should be as good as a honda maybe better .
The carb numbers are on the body or mounting flange

#1 You need a new flywheel for safety. The easiest to find would be the current PVL but you need a coil to go with it. In order to make it work you need to make an adapter plate for the coil to the block. The easiest way to make more significant power is to convert it to methanol. Contrary to popular belief methanol is a safer (much lower flash point) to use then gasoline. An aftermarket cam, stock class can give you maybe another 1/2 HP. If you do much more then this you need to put in an aftermarket or Briggs WF connecting rod. With these limited modifications the stock carb is all you need. I personally do not know what a club Honda is....but I bet Flattop does and his advice always seems to be on target.

JR racecar flywheels will work on there . There cheap and should be plentiful .
Though the PVL setup is an upgrade .
Yes they will...though I haven't seen any for quite some time. I sold the last one I had at a swap meet to a guy that said he was going to make an ashtray out of it....

Thats got too be a gen 1 first model briggs put out .
Assuming they tested and engineered it too suit its purpose .
They did upgrade too the jr race car , then pvl .
As is its probably ok , you stated you wanted some hp improvement that would create a scenario where it may be a concern .
Carlson , Baker and Jimbo as well as others here could give a definitive answer ;
I can not .

The flywheel in the picture is dangerous! if i remember correctly the total weight of that flywheel is 32 ounces. Back in the day I had a customer that had one come apart. Fortunately, no one got hurt but the thin sheet metal blower housing ended up being much larger than when it was originally installed.
These blocks were prone to cracking from the bearing pocket on the flywheel side. Briggs changed the design of the bearing pocket and the problem has virtually gone away, if you don't go nuts on horsepower.
We also saw the cylinder come off the crankcase and again Briggs made improvements to pretty much solve that problem also. I'm sure there will be all kinds of "whataboutism" but I don't like anything older than a Gen 4 block. The Gen 5 block is currently my favorite but rumor has it that there are some improvements coming to the Gen 5 also.

Back