Animal Engine Rebuild???

smracer9

Have just acquired a Kart with a non running Animal Eng. It has no compression. I am trying to put a plan together to repair/replace the engine and am looking for help to determine the best "next steps". Is there a shop manual for this engine, model #1243 32 8003 01? Where does this engine fit in compared to other engines. Thanks for your help.

briggs racing . com has info .
valve may be stuck open .
the first post by Jammie webb in this section tells almost everything you may need .

Take the air shield off the top of the cylinder and look fo this.

Also, how are you checking compression? Compression tester?
Some cams still have the compression release on them (yes, even ground cams for the animal class.)
Head gasket (as Jimbo pointed out) or valve/seat seal is likely cause of excess leakdown.
The rings in these things seem to last forever (at least the compression ring.)

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I have problems with my exhaust seat dropping out and holding the exhaust valve open. Luckily I have a automotive machine shop that will install new seats for free. Lot cheaper than a $500 billet head

Also, how are you checking compression? Compression tester?
Some cams still have the compression release on them (yes, even ground cams for the animal class.)
Head gasket (as Jimbo pointed out) or valve/seat seal is likely cause of excess leakdown.
The rings in these things seem to last forever (at least the compression ring.)

hey Brian thanks for the info. Checking compression by pulling the starter cord.....no resistance. I am not aware of a "pressure release" how would I check that?

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Well made some progress today. Removed valve cover and found the problem.

Attachments

• Resized_20190624_154717.jpeg
    Resized_20190624_154717.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Resized_20190624_154743.jpeg
    Resized_20190624_154743.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 128
If you use oil without a rust inhibitor you increase the likelihood of this happening.
When the springs rust and become pitted breakage is much more likely.

Could anyone tell me what animal engine I would want to buy I want to race small block or unlimited class I was told a animal engine would be a good start but I don’t know ****. I’ve built a few predators but that’s it

Could anyone tell me what animal engine I would want to buy I want to race small block or unlimited class I was told a animal engine would be a good start but I don’t know ****. I’ve built a few predators but that’s it
[/QUOTE. I miss spoke witch Briggs engine do I want to use
I

The blue coil animal is one .
Small block and unlimited is two different possibles .
Need better explination of what you want too do and spend .

Yep. Good start.
You can get a longer rod, higher compression piston for it. 2.437" Stroker crank, open up the head, big valves, roller rockers, and a big stick to match. Then bolt on a big carb to let'r breathe and get ready to have some real fun.

You can build it to the hilt to begin with, or upgrade a little at a time as your competition level (and budget) dictates.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

Lots of variations of small block, you need to be more descriptive of the rule set with which you are dealing. Also there are big differences between small block and unlimited. The use of billet blocks for instance.

Yep. Good start.
You can get a longer rod, higher compression piston for it. 2.437" Stroker crank, open up the head, big valves, roller rockers, and a big stick to match. Then bolt on a big carb to let'r breathe and get ready to have some real fun.

You can build it to the hilt to begin with, or upgrade a little at a time as your competition level (and budget) dictates.

-----
?Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Thanks I’ll check it out

Lots of variations of small block, you need to be more descriptive of the rule set with which you are dealing. Also there are big differences between small block and unlimited. The use of billet blocks for instance.
The unlimited pro clone just hast to be a small block of any kind. Would you have any suggestions or need more spec

Back