Animal flywheel in Modified

The stock Animal flywheel is fine but if your looking for a lighter version use the ARC 6600-A. This flywheel is designed as a direct PVL replacement and maintains the stock 29 degree timing. 29 timing is plenty of advance and will help to reduce temp and preserve engine life.

Steve

The stock Animal flywheel is fine but if your looking for a lighter version use the ARC 6600-A. This flywheel is designed as a direct PVL replacement and maintains the stock 29 degree timing. 29 timing is plenty of advance and will help to reduce temp and preserve engine life.

Steve
Cam card says 34 to 36, Dynocam 110. big valve heads, stroker crank from ARC, tillotson alcohol carb. you still think 29 degrees is proper?

The thin flywheel that Steve mentioned, or put the 3HP diameter flywheel on it and drop the coil down to match up.
Just be sure to order the correct flywheel for the crank and ignition coil you are using, etc.
ARC can make up just about anything you want (within reason.) Jody and Hunter will get you what you need.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The 110 Dyno cam and timing recommendations is for a flathead unless you had Dyno cams custom grind one for the animal?
My fingers typed 110 when actually it is a 310. My mistake. I guess I need to proof read after I type.

I re-read the cam specs , It says for (clone or Predator )set timing at 34 degrees. and Animal 30 to 32. I set it with the timing light and degree wheel to 30 and we will see how it works.

But my question was will the stock flywheel perform well and not cause problems at higher rpm. Enough say they have used them and it will work. And Thanks for the answers.

I am in the process of building another one and I plan to use a Jr Racecar 3 HP flywheel on it.
Thanks for all the input.!
Another question I have is , I have lunati flathead .150 stroker crank. If you have done that With the Animal,, What are the results.

The JR Racecar stock animal flywheel and ignition and the Briggs billet aluminum, PVL ignition Animal flywheel will work and be safe for high rpm's. Briggs cast aluminum flywheels that came on the first generation Animals will not work well and are dangerous even at low rpm's.

If you want to use the Briggs wheel with the flathead crank the plastic cooling fins will rub on the blower housing. That means you either have to modify the blower housing or you have to shim the blower housing out away from the block.
Some people use 2 or 3 flat washers others will grind the hole where the recoil would bolt on.
I have put the blower housing on the milling machine and opened up the hole.
Here's another excellent way:
https://faster-motors-wi.myshopify....-wf-block-support?_pos=1&_sid=c74b68788&_ss=r

If you want to use the Briggs wheel with the flathead crank the plastic cooling fins will rub on the blower housing. That means you either have to modify the blower housing or you have to shim the blower housing out away from the block.
Some people use 2 or 3 flat washers others will grind the hole where the recoil would bolt on.
I have put the blower housing on the milling machine and opened up the hole.
Here's another excellent way:
https://faster-motors-wi.myshopify....-wf-block-support?_pos=1&_sid=c74b68788&_ss=r
will the animal flywheel go right onto the FH crank or are the tapers different
thanks

Yes Flattop is correct. The tapers are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Briggs cast aluminum flywheels that came on the first generation Animals will not work well and are dangerous even at low rpm's.
How can you tell if you have one of those and why would they make a dangerous flwheel for a racing engine?

Back