Animal on Gas

sundog

I have an animal I want to put on an old kart to have some fun with and I want to run it on gas with a pull starter. Will it run on regular gas on a hot day without detonation problems? Cooling air is wide open and I'll use the LO206 carb set up. Where do I set the ignition timing, 26 degrees? Is there a flywheel key that works for gas?

Thanks,
Sundog

Last edited:
I would just look at Briggs lo206 rules for ignition timing, etc.
The cam, etc is pretty much the same as the animal as far as specs. Depending on flywheel, the stock key should put you close to those specs.
Detonation should not be a problem unless the compression is raised dramatically.

A look a faster motors super stock specs and rules should prove that out.

Mr Shaw's advice is on target, as it always seems to be. But I would like to add that if you hand start an animal that does not have a compression release, eventually it will tear your hand off. A stock cam with a compression release should be readily available for little or nothing.

Last edited:
Stick with a stock key. The pro gas engine had a bigger cam and open timing initially and warped the heads quite a bit when people were advancing the timing. They also ran 500°. Stock key later kept it under control. Certainly won’t have any issues with stock timing and 206 kart setup. You can deck the head considerably and port the intake to pick up power without sacrificing longevity

Back