Animal open cam

kartboy63

What cam have yall out there found that works for an open animal, its not a billit block or head, its a gen 3 block. 2.756, stroker, big valve head by JRPW, and a 28mm flatslide ?

For what it is worth ,I like the 310, Have tried the ratio rockers and did not seem to help lap times. Your Carb will have more to do with hp. I have had best results with the tillotsons. blueprinted correctly!.

What cam have yall out there found that works for an open animal, its not a billit block or head, its a gen 3 block. 2.756, stroker, big valve head by JRPW, and a 28mm flatslide ?
Nothing wrong with the Mikuni 28 - that's my preference anymore -- plug and play rather than twist and tune (which frightens most racers.)
What does the intake tract flow and how big of IN valve did Jimmy install?
That'll determine your cam lift as much as anything - next consider your track size and application.
I like something in the .310-.315" lift with 1.3:1 ratio rockers if it's on a track where the engine can stretch it's legs out. If you're on a smaller track, you'll have to gear the snot out of it (even with the stroker) but that combination has proven to work very well for us over the years.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I agree with you Brian. The Tillotson is very adjustable. And some find it a little too much. But the beauty is you can compensate during the day and night for different atmospheric conditions and fine tune it for different tracks. but if you don't want that. Mikuni makes great carbs. I ran them on Haley Davidson for years. Truly a tune and forget carb with great performance.

I agree with you Brian. The Tillotson is very adjustable. And some find it a little too much. But the beauty is you can compensate during the day and night for different atmospheric conditions and fine tune it for different tracks. but if you don't want that. Mikuni makes great carbs. I ran them on Haley Davidson for years. Truly a tune and forget carb with great performance.
Just had this conversation with a customer on the phone yesterday on why we use Mikunis over Tillys anymore.
-- Conversation typically goes like this: Caller: "Got a Tilly from "XYZ" and it ran fine when I first got it. Went to the track the next week and it blubbered all around the track so I twisted this needle, then that one, then I twisted a third needle, (sarcasm inserted) and now "XYZ" won't take it back. So I ask what the pop-off pressure is set at....crickets - the guy on the other end of the phone doesn't know because he has no clue what I'm talking about.
I've had this same conversation dozens of times over the years. Tuning a Tilly is not all that difficult but you need some basic understanding of how the carb works to better tune it on the track. There is no "one size fits all" settings for these carbs. If it's set up right at the shop, it'll be very close at the track - small tweaks if any, not handfuls of needle.
I've built my fair share of Tillotsons over the years - from flathead super stocks in the '80s to limiteds to big opens and they're a lot of work to get the drill pattern right and set everything up so that when they leave our shop I am confident that they are the best I can do. We spend a considerable amount of time on the dyno tuning and working on throttling, etc. so that when an engine leaves our shop it is the best that it can be. Then I get a call similar to the one above and it just breaks my heart, because I don't care how good you are, you are not going to diagnose and tune a carb over the telephone with someone who doesn't really understand a Tillotson.
For shear simplicity, the Mikuni is our default carb of choice now -- they really are plug and play and the customer is hard pressed to "un-tune" it, for lack of better words. :)

You are exactly correct. And I agree with you 100% If you are a weekend racer who races cleans your kart and forgets about it till next week. you need to stick to the basics. The tillotsons in my opinion will build more hp. BUT if you don't understand the basic operation of them , you don't need one. Unless you are will to learn. And you just don't stick a tilly on stock engine and expect it to run with the big dogs. You need all the bells and whistles.
I like the comment about Un-tune the carb. That is priceless Brian,

what are your thoughts on a blitz carb, I have one that came on a jawa, never ran it, I just put the tillotson I have from another jawa.

Back