Animal pro gas road racing

TP(;-) I may be able to find a couple of 7100 coils. I know they work on the Intek tiller motor.LOL The Atomic worked really well at Savannah. I almost have it rebuilt and ready for Daytona !!

As I remember Daytona --- a couple clones were running with and all over the 206 and that was before all the new rule changes with cam and push rods

Peewee158 MGM Fab

I remember very well i was one of those clones running with those 206 when we gotten our doors blown off. I think it was a MGM,Dover motor it was a yellow looking motor, it was kinda blurry to me, moving to fast. Some guys by the name of Colburn & Rice was hooked together. I thought it was a Milk & Bread banner or something not sure..LOL!!!

If it weren't for that dad-gummed rev limiter... There were subtle differences in power between the 206 and clone, prior to the new rules changes.
It's probably tilted slightly to clone now. But can you run two full seasons w/o a rebuild, or rules update, with that clone?
How much money is invested in those clones? I know how much I paid for the 206.

Why not Briggs WF, if a 206 isn't fast enough and the BP Animal is too expensive? I know the builders get hit then; so maybe this is a fair compromise. If it can just go forward without following the Animal or Clone "updates", it may have a chance.

I certainly don't have the answer, but miss the days of fewer classes and larger kart counts.
And really confused about how a free kart consumed so much fuel? :confused:

Bob V.
Not sure what you are doing so differently but it seems most guys at the gold cup were having their alky animals rebuilt in sr every national or two to maintain peak performance. I didn't rebuild my gas engine and raced it 8 total days and it ran just as well the last race. I like it much better than the 206 or clone because it is much faster. Unless you ran them back to back you really wouldn't notice much performance from an alky engine to the pro gas. In road race where they are always wound up you probably wouldn't even see a big time difference. I do wonder though how the engine temps would be on the pro gas in enduro? I know many at kershaw gold cup were near 500 degrees although I was around 430.

Anyway, for me personally I prefer the pro gas engine over any other. Much cheaper for me than the alky, better reliability and quality control than the clone, and a lot faster than the clone or 206. My second choice would be a 206. The only downside for me on that engine is speed otherwise it is an awesome package for racers to start on.

HIYA JEFF, It is like at the gas station when everything is "free" they go through a LOT more fuel.

(;-) TP

Looking at the price$ to build the Progas VS an animal I see ZERO difference in cost AND in the end it WILL cost the same as a current animal does now . That is IF it takes hold. Also those same ones that freshen up the animal every race day will still be doing it with a PGas. It is the nature of the beast.

(;-) TP

Well I was one of those that had a fresh engine every race and now I don't with the pro gas. So that statement is not true. I know Baker charges significantly less for the pro gas (maybe $300 or more) but I can't say why they are cheaper. Maybe has to do with the spec cam which leaves less creativity and also no need to work on the carb. I'm sure Steve will chime in. Part of it is I'm sure he's just not trying to rake everyone over the coals like so many engine builders don't mind doing. I.e. 1000+ clones and 1800 animals....

I am definitely not one for change and I literally get all my engines for free so it really doesn't matter what engine we run. Only difference is I prefer running with a full field of Pro Gas vs a few alky engines. Obviously many quickly saw the value of the package over the alky engine. The incentives put up by Baker, WKA, Briggs, and all involved helped too.

Not mentioned previously is the parity between the engines. Horsepower is very even.

For road racing is teh spec pipe going to work ?? In road racing the pipe s rarely work from the sprint/dirt world. We are only 36 inches wide and the driver hugs the engine for 30 minutes as it is a bad placed pipe creates BURNS over 30 minutes.

Just a thought, (;-)TP

We ran a used Pro Gas engine on the dyno last week that simulated Daytona racing. We use a Stuska water brake dyno so this kind of track simulation testing is possible.

7500 RPM for 30 minutes at wide open throttle the entire 30 minutes. Then every 2 minutes we dragged it down to 6000 rpm then back up to 7500 again. If anyone is more interested in the parameters the engine was running during this 30 minute test contact me. After we analyzed the engine at the end of this test my conclusion is it would be capable of running for many more hours without needing a rebuild. This is based on cylinder / ring wear condition, head bolt torque, head gasket condition and pre and post leak down testing.

Also the Baker engine price structure is based on business profit and engine volumes. The business model over time has to be adjusted for the current economic times. I would encourage other engine builders to stream line there engine building process to minimize wasted time without sacrificing quality and performance. If it takes an engine builder all day to build a Pro Gas engine they are doing something seriously wrong in there process!

Steve

HIYA JEFF, What classes are yall going to run at Daytona. I tried Jamie but I think he has me on ignore on his cell phone(;-).

(;-) TP

Steve the thing we have to watch the most is head gasket failure with the LO206. At 30 minute run times the engine will fully saturate with heat and expansion at its max. When it all cools down again then back up to saturation the head bolt tension relaxes and CAN cause head gasket failures. IF you just keep tightening them UP then you run the risk of failing tech with the head gasket being over compressed over time. Other that that the 206 has been a ball to run and fun to tune. Going on year 3 of Road racing with this one.

ProGas ??? I am not sure yet. If you had started with a LO206 and just added the ProGas cam and WF coil(7100) and use teh LO206 tech specs you would have something that could remain LOW COST. AS is as soon as the big boys start with them the cost will be about the same as the current animal. It already has the about same base parts cost as the animal and being it is basically the same tech specs for most of the parts what would be the difference in Build price over the animal ??

YES "your" initial Racer cost is LOW but then again so was the Clonie until it took hold (;-).

I assume that the reason for using the animal alky specs for the most part was to allow everyone to convert their old engines to this class ?

(;-) TP

Vmax - Probably be best if you call me sometime so I can explain a lot of the technical aspects of the Pro Gas engine. With regards to your head gasket issue on LO206, this is a non issue for the Pro Gas engine. We use the triple stainless steel head gasket. It’s capable of head temps way above the temps we are running. I can explain to you sometime what it takes to maintain head bolt torque with extended high temps and heat cycles. Remember the head temp is measured under the spark plug and is .5 inches away from the exhaust port. Of course it’s going to be hot, the exhaust temps in the port are 1250 to 1400 range. The head temp reading this close to the exhaust port is an inflated number that is not representative of the head in general.

Steve

Hiya Steve Yes I am aware of the temp at the SP AND that is where the LO206 seems to fail the Hgasket. I have had heat probes all over the head monitoring temps.

Stuska Waterbrake with full instrumentation.

(;-) TP

Back