Animal restrictor plates

steve baker

I always found it interesting why WKA and IKF always spec'd the restrictor plates to be installed backwards. It was designed to be installed flipped with the tab on the other side....................rule goes back to around 2001 time frame and still is wrong today.

Steve

Same here Steve.
I wonder why anyone still uses restrictor plates when Briggs makes slides of different length that work so well?
I just spent hours on the dyno to come with a slide length so a dirt track could allow the few guys that still have blueprinted gold plate Jr 3 Animal could run with the LO 206's.

Availability has been an issue (esp. with the blue plates) as of late.
Having to slot some of them to get the bottom hole to line up has been an issue all along.
Guys leaving the caps loose on the slide has been an issue in tech, (double gaskets, changed engines but not slide cap, etc, all sorts of excuses.) So if we were to go to the slides, you'd have everyone re-blueprinting their carbs, slides, and cap locks to purchase. I don't think anyone wants to go to that extent at this point. Hindsight is 20/20 - Had we started with restrictor slides, we wouldn't be at this juncture.
I don't have a problem with using restrictor plates (or slides for that matter), but the plates have not been made right for the animal from the beginning. I don't know who is to blame, but I would think there's still enough demand for plates that a manufacturer could step in and correct the issues, or even look at the sanctioning bodies approving new plates with better hole locations - I don't know of any racer who wouldn't spend a few more dollars to have a better plate to replace what they've got to use now. The clone restrictor plates seem to be working fine...Calling on ARC?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

As always it comes back to the organization that controls the rules and regulations that would need to find a new restrictor plate supplier to test and approve it! Who's that for the Animal ? WKA is all about 2 cycle, IKF is gone and AKRA is Clone.

For QM racing Mittler Bros machine and Tool makes them and does a real nice job.

Steve

Here is a statement from the company i normally purchase Briggs Restrictor plates from.

Restrictor Plates
The manufacturer has discontinued production of plates for the Animal platform. When we are out, we will no longer carry PLATES for the Animal engine.

I'm not into QM racing but wonder if Mittler Bros machine and Tool makes them for karting as well?

Not currently, but I would imagine they would if volume was big enough.

We're dealers for Mittler Bros / Tanner already. Great guys that have been around racing at just about every level and for more years than any of us. I think they would be interested, but for sure it needs to be profitable for them to do it. I don't suspect the volume would be an issue as much as getting the tracks and racers (without a sanctioning body's mandate) to make the change.

Same here Steve.
I wonder why anyone still uses restrictor plates when Briggs makes slides of different length that work so well?
I just spent hours on the dyno to come with a slide length so a dirt track could allow the few guys that still have blueprinted gold plate Jr 3 Animal could run with the LO 206's.
Jim I race at this track and have run both, everyone started the season with the agreed upon animal Jr3 rule package which I was all for and had an engine built specifically for. Some people complained or couldn't get their alcohol motor to run decent and went to the slide. The slide motors started to clearly have the advantage. This season has become a total waste of time due to this. They may make similar HP on the dyno but I agree with the previous comments that the two motors would work differently at separate tracks. Now I have a motor that is useless to me where we race, I could have purchased more tires or other racing supplies. Just my thoughts!

Back