animal stk coil -vs- PVL coil ??

The consistency of spark timing, the intensity and duration of the spark event is superior to the standard coil setup.

ok. so the PVL is the choice since I have the access to either one , thank you for all the feedback !!!!
Correct.
You must have the mating flywheel. Replacement mating flywheels are available from ARC.....or use the one provided by Briggs
if possible. It is much less expensive than the beautiful aftermarket ARC.

All good info posted above.
PVL is the ignition of choice on animals to be sure.

Replacement mating flywheels are available from ARC.....or use the one provided by Briggs
if possible. It is much less expensive than the beautiful aftermarket ARC.

ARC makes a beautiful part, however, keep in mind that if you're running in the stock animal classes, you MUST use the Briggs flywheel.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

How would a LO206 run with the PVL coil? Impact on hp?

Would it be possible to just change to the PVL coil, or would you have to change anything else?

Possible, yes, advisable, no. The beauty of the 206 package (along w/ others) is it's longevity. Cam profile, torque curve, and desired rpm range all lend well to the 6100 RPM limiter. There's not doubt, some will choose to rev that motor past it's usable RPM's if they opt to use the 12k limiter, potentially incurring damage. Stay w/ the 6100 limiter that's stock w/ the 206 package, and crisis averted!

Animal Pro Gas would be another option if your looking for more power and RPM levels. Still a low cost engine package with good durability. WKA spec #705 allow's for proper camshaft and valve springs for upper RPM levels and billet rod for durability. Engine still runs on standard pump gas. This engine package has gained a lot popularity in the National Sprint racing series in the past year. One of the best races I ever watched was at the first 2014 WKA Gold Cup race at Jacksonville , Florida in the Animal Pro Gas class heat race on Saturday. There was 9 karts in a pack at the finish line on the last lap. This engine package is the most consistent HP numbers we have ever seen in dyno data.

Steve

Last edited:
robkoz,
The Lo206 already has a PVL coil - it simply has a lower rpm rev limiter (6100 vs 12,000.)
Now, could you compete with BP'd animals with a 206 and the 12G coil? You could try - Would you be competitive? Absolutely not.
As Dan mentioned - the Lo206 package was designed around durability and level playing field - not performance at all costs.

I'm all for leaving the LO206 alone.

I'm part of a club that wants to see if they can open up an existing modified Honda/clone class to other engine options, and I was wondering if there might be an easy way to get the LO206 "on par" with those things.

For the record, I'll never do it - I love the LO206 concept as is...

Just for the record, robkoz: At the IKF Sprint Grands last year, both the 206 & Blueprinted Gas Animal (almost identical to WKA Pro-Gas) were run. Comparing the two, here's the facts: Same drivers, same chassis, same track configuration, and near identical weights (206 +10#), the 206 was right at 1 second off the pace. Granted, that will change from track to track, but for conversation purposes, that might be what you're looking for. One other bit of info that speaks to the point, 206 class saw the top 5 drivers within 1/10th of the others fastest time, compared to the Briggs Gas Animal class that varied 4/10ths among the top 5.

In racing, it's all about repeatability, whether it's driving lines, chassis tuning, or motor performance. Briggs got it right, and I point to the effort in Wisconsin that helped raised the bar. The quality checks that were self-imposed by Briggs, are being verified out in the field.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in Canada, where fortunately, the LO206 is the National standard for 4-cycle racing.

The problem that we have here is not at the National level, but it is with the clubs and their ability to create "local option" classes. At our club, we've had a modified Honda/clone class for the past few years. I tried it and it wasn't for me, but I can understand why it might appeal to some people. One question these guys are now asking is if there's a way for them to open up that class to the Briggs Animal engines. Obviously with money, an Animal can be built into a pretty quick package that should be faster than a modified Honda/clone. The question some are asking is whether there is a cheap way to make the Animal fast. Given the low cost of the LO206, I was wondering if there's a cheap way to do that based on the LO206 platform. With comparably good drivers, and similar enough weights, the LO206 is about 4 seconds a lap slower than the modified Honda at our 3/4 mile sprint track that would best be described as pretty wide open for a 4-cycle.

For me, I'm running the new-to-our-club LO206 class. I pushed hard for it, and got enough interest from others that we'll have a class this year, so I can run the LO206 as it's meant to be run.

And Gonzari - I couldn't agree more that I'd rather be a bit slower, but racing within a tenth of others, than be a bit faster and everyone being separated by half a second. Look at the results of LO206 races anywhere at any level, and it's rare to find the top guys separated by more than a tenth.

The Animal with the (Dyno Cams) Pro Gas camshaft, AN02 Springs and the WF billet rod is about the cheapest upgrade there is for a big jump in HP and still run on pump gas. They run in the 7500 to 8000 RPM range and are very close in power to the blue printed Alky engine. We have built over 100 of them and still is amazing to me how easy they are to build.

Steve

Thanks robkoz, for the better explanation as to your plight. You CAN open the class, but the exercise has been duplicated so many times, with the same result, that leads to declining entries. When everything else is equal (similar chassis & drivers), better motors win, and some can't compete. The worst part, all are lighter in the wallet if they want to remain competitive. Your group seems destined to build the entry-level class, then transition, as Steve eluded to above, to a second class, that's more open. Most that have been in karting can write the script here, as to the ending. Majority of the field will migrate to Blueprinted Animals, because their egos lead the way, leaving the pie sliced too thin. Maybe they'll combine classes, so racing on the same track, at the same time, because the classes makes for more fun. History dictates membership will ultimately suffer. The variable, how deep the pockets are in your area, and sustainability, along with support. It really comes down to what the membership @ your club wants to get out of racing. If it's a bunch of fun, keep arguing hard, in favor of the 206, for newbies to racing, then put on a show every week so that others want the same experience. For lack of a better phrase, bring great & repeatable entertainment to the track, let the racing speak for itself.

Good luck this season!

Back