Animal stroker clutch engagement

What cam? That would best determine the peak torque of your engine.
Big valves (and carbs) raise the peak torque. More stroke lowers the peak torque.
Likely you want to be in the 4500 range.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Dang higher than i was thinking.ive never ran a four cycle besides a flathead 1 yr 10-12 yrs ago when i started.so this is a learning experience. It has the 356 cam 1-1 rockers i think.the small block open has killed our rwyb class.thanks again clones👍

Dang higher than i was thinking.ive never ran a four cycle besides a flathead 1 yr 10-12 yrs ago when i started.so this is a learning experience. It has the 356 cam 1-1 rockers i think.the small block open has killed our rwyb class.thanks again clones👍
How big of IN valve and how big of carb?
I'd still suggest that you'll be lower than spincycle -- I suspect he's got a good bit more done to his engine than yours to have peak torque that high.

How big of IN valve and how big of carb?
I'd still suggest that you'll be lower than spincycle -- I suspect he's got a good bit more done to his engine than yours to have peak torque that high.
32mm intake i have a 28mm flatslide.i got have a tilly 304 but im sick of messing with them,its always something.one i have has wore out throttle shaft.

I see and hear so many Karters saying rhe Tillotson carbs are a pain in the rear and not a good choice, they're all I've ever used, I don't have one complaint to make....I run alky in my motors, I make sure and flush the engine with a mix of 87 octane no alky gas and marvel mystery oil right after every race day, throw a new diaphragm in them one or twice a season, and keep them as clean as possible....😉

I see and hear so many Karters saying rhe Tillotson carbs are a pain in the rear and not a good choice, they're all I've ever used, I don't have one complaint to make....I run alky in my motors, I make sure and flush the engine with a mix of 87 octane no alky gas and marvel mystery oil right after every race day, throw a new diaphragm in them one or twice a season, and keep them as clean as possible....😉
Whatever carb you choose should fit your abilities and temperament, as much as it should fit your engine build.

I started racing flathead, and was introduced to the tillotson as a way to run additional classes at the nationals. I was shown how to make it run by my friend and mentor. Consequently, it became my go-to choice because it was a known quantity.
I suspect whatever carb is chosen will have it's own learning curve.

Fo what it's worth, a worn throttle shaft will make any carb temperamental as it will make it inconsistent. I'm sure the flat slide will have its own unique problems.

Learning those, then somewhat mastering them is a big part of the satisfaction from doing your own thing.
Just know there is no real plug and play solutions in open racing.

Above all, have fun.

Last edited:
Whatever carb you choose should fit your abilities and temperament, as much as it should fit your engine build.

I started racing flathead, and was introduced to the tillotson as a way to run additional classes at the nationals. I was shown how to make it run by my friend and mentor. Consequently, it became my go-to choice because it was a known quantity.
I suspect whatever carb is chosen will have it's own learning curve.

Fo what it's worth, a worn throttle shaft will make any carb temperamental as it will make it inconsistent. I'm sure the flat slide will have its own unique problems.

Learning those, then somewhat mastering them is a big part of the satisfaction from doing your own thing.
Just know there is no real plug and play solutions in open racing.

Above all, have fun.
Our goto carb is the cheap Chinese PWK knock off, I have found spending big bucks on a carb is no better than learning how to make a cheap one work with modifications.

I have a ton of tillotson parts,i havent had a ton of problems with them on my two strokes,but its 2022 and they make some other nice options.i dont run alot of tracks with a big altitude change so thats not a concern.im just tired of seeing fuel drip,and wore throttle shafts.i have a 304 but shafts wore out and i have 10 shafts in my box but have to go buy a 4-40 tap and fix a shaft up where the cam is removable so ya can get the carb on and off.im still tuning on my slide carb.i think its just a tick lean but im not far off.

Our goto carb is the cheap Chinese PWK knock off, I have found spending big bucks on a carb is no better than learning how to make a cheap one work with modifications.
309$ for a 40$ tillotson is kinda crazy if ya ask me too.a guy blessed me with a buller mikuni atomizer for my 2-stroke and its a nice piece.he said i cant use it make me any offer i said ok 25$ he said sold👍👍👍

I have a ton of tillotson parts,i havent had a ton of problems with them on my two strokes,but its 2022 and they make some other nice options.i dont run alot of tracks with a big altitude change so thats not a concern.im just tired of seeing fuel drip,and wore throttle shafts.i have a 304 but shafts wore out and i have 10 shafts in my box but have to go buy a 4-40 tap and fix a shaft up where the cam is removable so ya can get the carb on and off.im still tuning on my slide carb.i think its just a tick lean but im not far off.
Where do the throttle shafts wear? Is it noticeable up and down, side to side or both? Admittedly, I don't race but a handful of times a season, so can't say I've ever experienced it....thx!

Where do the throttle shafts wear? Is it noticeable up and down, side to side or both? Admittedly, I don't race but a handful of times a season, so can't say I've ever experienced it....thx!
Wears right where the brass rubs the aluminum.ya can clearly see on throttle blade where its been sucking dirt.

Wears right where the brass rubs the aluminum.ya can clearly see on throttle blade where its been sucking dirt

Attachments

• 49EC581C-1E3F-4B1B-91C0-8CDA00113424.jpeg
    49EC581C-1E3F-4B1B-91C0-8CDA00113424.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 22
  • 7246477E-2E97-4B8D-AC8F-9231EF49D065.jpeg
    7246477E-2E97-4B8D-AC8F-9231EF49D065.jpeg
    67.6 KB · Views: 22
Back