Animal stroker egt

Bradley71

Heres where i got egt to on my engine.im playing with a slide carb.im wondering whether i should go fatter on mainjet to be safe.i dont want to tear up my engine.whats a safe egt.i ran two strokes and i know as long as it continues to go up its ok.but if it goes up and falls its bad😂

Attachments

• 181934F9-B094-414B-97EF-029457493B1D.jpeg
    181934F9-B094-414B-97EF-029457493B1D.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 67
You might want to contact Jimbo, Brian Carlson or Lewis Stout. So many of us dont run EGT leads that I doubt few know. I do know know, from buying a defective (air leak) big bore 212 carb what CHT's are bad.

Yeah im not familiar with 4 cycles at all.i mean i can work on em but as far as sitting in the seat and tuning em 🤷🏻‍♂️This is all a learning experience for me.i ran a flathead for a yr 10 yrs ago.

1200 egt could be on the edge of melting, or you could be so rich that it is burning in the pipe at the thermocouple.
Quick way to determine this would be to go a few steps richer on main and see what you max egt is....if it increases, then you know it is caused by the raw fuel igniting in the exhaust.

FWIW, I've always tuned to 1175 for peak and tuned more conservative for customers at the track. 1100 is "sufficient" even if you are leaving a little power on the table -- it's better to be safe than sorry trying to get that last Nth out of an open.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

1200 egt could be on the edge of melting, or you could be so rich that it is burning in the pipe at the thermocouple.
Quick way to determine this would be to go a few steps richer on main and see what you max egt is....if it increases, then you know it is caused by the raw fuel igniting in the exhaust.

FWIW, I've always tuned to 1175 for peak and tuned more conservative for customers at the track. 1100 is "sufficient" even if you are leaving a little power on the table -- it's better to be safe than sorry trying to get that last Nth out of an open.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Attachments

• 7C51864E-F440-44FD-A0C9-9D9BB9CA0732.jpeg
    7C51864E-F440-44FD-A0C9-9D9BB9CA0732.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 53F6762C-E1A1-491A-AD80-4D241F779EA1.jpeg
    53F6762C-E1A1-491A-AD80-4D241F779EA1.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 51
Thats what egt probe look like looks like had a fire in pipe to me what do u think.all the soot on backside of egt.

Thats what egt probe look like looks like had a fire in pipe to me what do u think.all the soot on backside of egt.
Maybe, but it's hard to tell when the thermocouple is as big as it is and blocks that much of the exhaust stream. It doesn't look all that abnormal.
You might try pulling it back out of the exhaust a bit some too.

Tuning is tuff.im going to put a smaller needle and seat in carb tonite also.i feel like i may be over working the floats with too big of needle and seat.main thing is i need a good day to run it.and mess w it some its close tho.i feel im not too far off.sometimes i over think things when im going into them blind

Maybe, but it's hard to tell when the thermocouple is as big as it is and blocks that much of the exhaust stream. It doesn't look all that abnormal.
You might try pulling it back out of the exhaust a bit some too.
I see what ya mean with flame in exhaust i went to a .120 jet just for heck of it and the flame bruned for quite a while in motor.lol the egt went for 400-1800-1100-900 and i spun the motor and shut exhaust valve and it steadily dropped 😂my midrange is awesome im still too rich it wants too flood motor down at about 8100-8900 and it wont get much past that at moment.

I see what ya mean with flame in exhaust i went to a .120 jet just for heck of it and the flame bruned for quite a while in motor.lol the egt went for 400-1800-1100-900 and i spun the motor and shut exhaust valve and it steadily dropped 😂my midrange is awesome im still too rich it wants too flood motor down at about 8100-8900 and it wont get much past that at moment.
Like you said, tuning is tough. :)

Is it possible to have excessive EGT but cool
Yes.im at 1100 egt and it wont turn past 8200 .i have my cht on it and it read 244.engines only fat when carb is on the main jet thats why not getting rpm.the 1100 is from fire in pipe.
My two stroke it run strong from 800-1000 + a few.ya go over 1080 and youll likely stick a ring.if the egt goes to say 800 and thats it and your on lean side youll fry a piston fast.its kinda two fold.temps not rising bc not enough fuel.and temp can rise bc way too much.best way i can explain it,im not a good talker.

Egt was low here engine wasnt making power,had a leak where two crankcases meet.

Attachments

• FFF48CEF-7D14-4E42-835E-87DDC7D71C08.jpeg
    FFF48CEF-7D14-4E42-835E-87DDC7D71C08.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 20
I try to pull pipe off my engines and look in them and at valves too and at the piston.it was just something i did helping work on a racecar too.it helps

Yes.im at 1100 egt and it wont turn past 8200 .i have my cht on it and it read 244.engines only fat when carb is on the main jet thats why not getting rpm.the 1100 is from fire in pipe.
My two stroke it run strong from 800-1000 + a few.ya go over 1080 and youll likely stick a ring.if the egt goes to say 800 and thats it and your on lean side youll fry a piston fast.its kinda two fold.temps not rising bc not enough fuel.and temp can rise bc way too much.best way i can explain it,im not a good talker.

Did you try going just a little richer to see if that would help ? You may be at that critical point before too much detonation and the EGT starts to drop and turn into ‘pinging’.

Back