Animal stroker questions here

Bradley71

I have a animal on alky 28mm slide what cht temp am i shooting for.ran the other nite got 265.engine had great power ran well.
Im kinda gear bound tho was on 11-62 i think im going to go to like a 12-65 tho turned 8600 rpm all nite.(dropped gear thru out the nite also)id like to turn somewhere between 7800-8100 maybe depending on how well i get off corner and pull at end of straight.im trying to get familiar with this engine first time ive ran a four stroke in 10 yrs.
Guy told me today i can lug that engine,if i can get good corner speed.anyone with alot of animal experience have any pointers for me.

How big a track? Full throttle all the way around, or have to roll out or burp throttle getting into corner?

Here

Attachments

• 04D7E945-BE75-4CEC-9B84-66B4AB56C9EC.png
    04D7E945-BE75-4CEC-9B84-66B4AB56C9EC.png
    322.3 KB · Views: 37
If gear bound, the change you offered won't make that much difference.

I would throw just the 12 driver on knowing I will lose a little pull off the corner.

Depending on cam and valve sizes ,your numbers aren't that bad.

I like to be closer to 350 temp on ally if possible. Especially if on and off throttle. All my experience is with tillotson.

Stopwatch will tell if gearing better or worse.

I'd say it looks like maybe a 1/8th mi....I'd probably put the 12 on the clutch and start with a 63 on the back, if track starts picking up speed, maybe take 2 teeth of the back (61)...one of our local tracks is a similar 1/8th, whenever I tried an 11t on the clutch with my stroker animal, simply could never develop any speed, I've also tried a 13T, way too sluggish coming off the corner, stick with the 12t and keep changing rear sprockets based on what the track surface is doing as the race program goes along...

This track is only 2 or 3 miles off of the Ohio River and because of all the silt doesnt really bite up. Its racy and fun but you dont see flat footing around corners very often.

If you're currently gearbound on an 11-62 @ 8600, just go up a tooth on the driver. Stroker engines don't need to turn the rpm of a stock stroke engine. Keep in mind, that at Rockport, you're likely only seeing that 8600 peak rpm for just a millisecond at corner entry. If you're gearbound on that small of a track, the 12-65 won't fix it.
Even if your engine's power curve is done before 8600, doesn't necessarily mean that you won't need to turn it that hard.
A dyno cannot simulate rpm drop in the corners.
Go by your stop watch - it never lies.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com