Animal stroker

I recently got an engine and popped the side cover. It has an arc 6240 rod which is a stroker rod, but has a arc 6616 pvl flywheel. Well I took the cam out and out it back in and we’ll lined it up dot to dot in the gears and well the timing isn’t right. There a special spot the cam and crank gear needs to be?

I did dot to dot or I think, I can spin it over so much then it stops and you can see the intake hitting the piston. It a non adjustable cam too

Side covers gotta come off . Possibly miss read were the dot was .
Believe its six teeth clock from the key .
Cam specs and a degree wheel .

It’s a stock crank. I bought this motor cheap and finally tearing into it to see what it is.
The keyway on the end of the flathead crank will not line up with the keyway on the arc flywheel, to get proper timing, requires a very good lapping compound, degree wheel and torque wrench to tighten the flywheel down as tight as possible....I learned this as I had the very same issue when I was putting together my stock crank stroker animal.... additionally, if you use a stock Briggs animal crank with a long stroke rod, you get the same combo more or less, and the keyway on the stock Briggs crank DOES line up for correct timing with the ARC flywheel...😉

The keyway on the end of the flathead crank will not line up with the keyway on the arc flywheel, to get proper timing, requires a very good lapping compound, degree wheel and torque wrench to tighten the flywheel down as tight as possible....I learned this as I had the very same issue when I was putting together my stock crank stroker animal.... additionally, if you use a stock Briggs animal crank with a long stroke rod, you get the same combo more or less, and the keyway on the stock Briggs crank DOES line up for correct timing with the ARC flywheel...😉
it doesn't sound like he took the flywheel off. He took the side cover off and got the cam timing off because the valves are hitting piston now.

27 teeth on the crank gear ?
360÷27 = 13.33 * per tooth .
I did a flatty off a tooth no hiting the piston . Ran just not the best .

Yea I didn’t take the fly wheel off, just popped the side cover off to see what I bought. I gave 100 bucks for this motor. I’m just going off what number the rod is and the flywheel number to see if it’s a true stroker motor. I’ll pop the side cover back off and count the crank gear

Sometimes there maybe a thin shim on the end of the crank covering the end of the crank gear to the point you can't see the dot on the crank gear, could make it easy to misalign cam to crank gear...

Your problem would have absolutely nothing to do with the flywheel or it's compatibility.
It has nothing to do with determining valve timing. Forget about the flywheel for now.

How hard did the valve hit the piston?
If you hit it with an electric starter, you may have already done enough damage to bend the valve and necessitate pulling the head to replace the valve that hit.

Did the engine run or turn over freely BEFORE you took the sidecover off?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Your problem would have absolutely nothing to do with the flywheel or it's compatibility.
It has nothing to do with determining valve timing. Forget about the flywheel for now.

How hard did the valve hit the piston?
If you hit it with an electric starter, you may have already done enough damage to bend the valve and necessitate pulling the head to replace the valve that hit.

Did the engine run or turn over freely BEFORE you took the sidecover off?

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
It’s never been started, I wanted to tear into it before I got it running. It spun over freely before I pulled it apart. But I may have turned the crank after I took the cam out. I’m going to end up tearing it all the way down but I put the cam dot to dot on the crank gear. But I need to take it back apart to count the crank gear to figure how I screwed itnup

Sounds like a solid plan to me!

I remember an old saying that I heard years ago.
You learn from your mistakes.

Well by now I have got to be a friggin genius!

The first thing i'd do is take the valve out of the head that hit the piston and see if it's bent.
Let me rephrase that. If the valve hit the piston see how badly it's bent.

It was off a bunch off teeth, the crank gear is a 27 tooth and the one that lined up was painted yellow. I lined it up dot to do and it now spins freely.

If it has compression the valve must not be bent
(at least not bent really bad)

I recently got an engine and popped the side cover. It has an arc 6240 rod which is a stroker rod, but has a arc 6616 pvl flywheel. Well I took the cam out and out it back in and we’ll lined it up dot to dot in the gears and well the timing isn’t right. There a special spot the cam and crank gear needs to be?
Makes me wonder how many cranks that gear fits .

Back