Animal timing std 28 BTDC vs higher BTDC

I am running an animal motor on methanol, using the PLV flywheel and matching coil and std straight up key. The cam is a Dyno can An-002 with #20 springs. The sheet that came with cam says set at 28 deg. BTDC. I Used a timing light and it is right on 28 BTDC. I'm wondering if others are running the same but have used offset keys to advance the timming more and if so how much more and how much better is/was the overall performance, if any. Thanks for any feed back.

Rob,
There's a couple different set-ups that work well. The stock timing key will be just fine, sometimes a 2* will produce better power. I don't even use a key in most of my engines -- simply lap the flywheel to the crank taper - that way I can set the timing precisely where I want, rather than trying several keys that don't necessarily advance the timing quite the way they say.
A lot depends on the carb set-up and the pipe. If it were as simple as picking a key, we'd all be running the same one. In reality, we all do carbs a bit differently, pipes that scavenge fuel differently, (longer, shorter, bigger id, smaller id, different stages for different lengths, etc), even header wrap moves the power curve slightly. The off the shelf set-up you have provided will work just fine until you start tweaking on every little thing to pick up a half a tenth here and there.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back