Animal tin

Status
Not open for further replies.

spincycle

Does anyone know of whether or not if a replacement thin tin side cover is made for the briggs animal...like those on the Chinese clone?

Certainly, Intek models 12 or 15 will fit but I don't believe there are many here on Bobs would recommend it. Why compromise safety?

I agree that the Briggs crank and flywheel are far better then the clone, but to save probably a pound or less I still want the better cover.

Open class ; just leave it off . Course your new nickname might be stubby :D..
Or a bigger piston the the 1 lb won't matter .

Do you wear a helmet when racing? Do you allow you kids, grand kids, nieces or nephews to ride in your car with out wearing their seat belts.
Does your car have air bags?
Why do you suppose Briggs put the thicker blower housing on the Animal?
I'm not saying that any engine should be banned but can't believe you aren't required to use some type of device to contain the flywheel if it should happen to come apart.
If you want to race a kart or put an engine on a mini bike with the thin blower housing be my guest but when you are risking the life or well being of others that's a different story.
Is it really that big of a deal to use a thicker blower housing just to be safe.
What's the problem with using one?
If you really can't afford one let us know and I'll send you a good used one.
I apologize if my concern for others is a problem.

Don't disagree with you... trying to understand why a thin one is ok on a clone but not on a briggs animal...and clones are ran everywhere and the briggs animal is basically a dead kart motor option, seems the inherent danger level is much higher with the clone but nobody seems to care, I ask about putting a thin one on a briggs animal and you wolves wanna chew me to pieces...🤔

Animals are not dead everywhere, which is why I do not know anything about clones. If we were racing clones and a heavy blower cover was available, we would use it. Same goes for a flathead.

Last edited:
i would think that the heavier blower housing, would add some integrity to the aluminum block on the flywheel side. Thin tin, not so much.

Spin
If you race a LO 206 it is illegal to use anything other than the OEM blower housing.
Some history for you: When the Animal first came out they had the thin blower housing that was between .030 and .040" thick depending on where you measured it. They also had a light weight industrial engine flywheel that weight about 32 ounces.
I had a friend / customer that used a hammer and prybars to remove his flywheel. The next time out the flywheel came apart. Fortunately, no one was hurt but the flywheel and the blower housing was destroyed.
Briggs realized the danger and almost immediately updated to a billet flywheel and the Heavy blower housing. This one is about .110" thick around the mounting holes to .080" thick at it's thinnest point.
Although I don't do clones I remember when they came out everyone was told that the flywheels with the magnet held in by one screw through the center of the magnet and some glue was completely safe. That way a huge lie since they also came apart.
Jr.A is 100 % correct in thinking that the Hd blower housing adds integrity and helps stabilize the block.
It seems foolish to me to use the light weight blower housing when the list price of the HD blower housing is only $6.00 more.
I'm guessing you can get a used HD blower housing very inexpensively.

Don't disagree with you... trying to understand why a thin one is ok on a clone but not on a briggs animal...and clones are ran everywhere and the briggs animal is basically a dead kart motor option, seems the inherent danger level is much higher with the clone but nobody seems to care, I ask about putting a thin one on a briggs animal and you wolves wanna chew me to pieces...🤔
You do you, get the light one save the 2lbs. I believe jimbo offers a carbon fiber one if you want to go all out and save even a little more.

Spin
If you race a LO 206 it is illegal to use anything other than the OEM blower housing.
Some history for you: When the Animal first came out they had the thin blower housing that was between .030 and .040" thick depending on where you measured it. They also had a light weight industrial engine flywheel that weight about 32 ounces.
I had a friend / customer that used a hammer and prybars to remove his flywheel. The next time out the flywheel came apart. Fortunately, no one was hurt but the flywheel and the blower housing was destroyed.
Briggs realized the danger and almost immediately updated to a billet flywheel and the Heavy blower housing. This one is about .110" thick around the mounting holes to .080" thick at it's thinnest point.
Although I don't do clones I remember when they came out everyone was told that the flywheels with the magnet held in by one screw through the center of the magnet and some glue was completely safe. That way a huge lie since they also came apart.
Jr.A is 100 % correct in thinking that the Hd blower housing adds integrity and helps stabilize the block.
It seems foolish to me to use the light weight blower housing when the list price of the HD blower housing is only $6.00 more.
I'm guessing you can get a used HD blower housing very inexpensively.
I run open modified with an adjustable timing billet arc flywheel....😉

The attraction to the China bombs was the price of the motors. Guys abandoned establish engine platform which, through growth and improvements in safety and importance, evolved into safer engines. The Clone/Predator crowd has been willing to overlook things in order to keep them ridiculously cheap.

The clone uses a billet / flywheel ;
deemed safe by the major karting organization's
The predator does not .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back