animal Vs Clone

Legends13

What is the difference (other than the obvious)?

It the animal faster? Why don't classes run these together?

The local track doesn't run a clone class, but it would sure be nice if they did. Just curious if a clone can run with an animal and be competitive. In particular, I am speaking of a purple plate class.

I have been out of karting for 10 years, and the animals were just starting when I left. Now clones are everywhere and I dont know anything about the clones...

Animals are faster and more reliable engines PERIOD. Jmho. Unless your clone is a fully built stock appearing engine then its a tough call. But a stock clone vs stock animal, animal will always win even with a plate in both engines.

stay away from the clones if you can, Briggs OHV animals are the way to go. and if youre looking for a cost effective way to do it, go with the LO206 (especially if youre looking at a restricted class) when you need to move up in classes then you can break the seal on the 206 and itll grow with you, the LO206 is the best DEAL you can get

Thanks for the info. What is the difference on the 206? From what i have seen it appears the rev limiter is much lower on it, but maybe I am wrong. I am running this on a microd (for those of you that don't know, they are similar to a quarter midget) but the rules are basically the same as WKA. Is the 206 competitive with a built plate motor? This is for the 5-7 year olds, so I can't imagine the engine makes that big of a difference with a purple plate installed. This will be my sons first year, and I am more worried about him getting seat time, but I want to make sure he is at least competitive.

Animals are faster and more reliable engines PERIOD. Jmho. Unless your clone is a fully built stock appearing engine then its a tough call. But a stock clone vs stock animal, animal will always win even with a plate in both engines.
X2!! Take the animal anyday down here in clone country

You might want to do a little testing, unless your not calling current AKRA rule STOCK. and not BP rule

must be clone bashing day.
its an engine nothing more, nothing less.
as a simple racing package a good option.

Tire bills > engine bill x 3!!!

I do not understand the constant chatter about animals being so expensive to run.

The clone was suppose to bring the cost down. Wrong answer, I have both, but will take the animal anyday. As for cost the clone sure ain't the bargain it was suppose to be!

must be clone bashing day.
its an engine nothing more, nothing less.
as a simple racing package a good option.

Some people are just completely fed up with what has resulted from the clones, they had a good run but they were ruined with so many rule changes and the still existing stupid rules. the packages from Briggs are just better, better engines, I have a TON of clone stuff my self, and honestly, im tired of it now, with the exception of SA/Open applications...
And i use the term "some people" losely LOL

At least this is the case with many of the people i race with.

We ran a blue plate clone this year against gold flathead and animals. The only thing we gave up with the clone, if any, was on the starts. Seems the animal might have a slight advantage however I can not swear to it. As for the flathead vs. the clone, straight up the clone definitely wins even with a 20 pound weight adder. Against the animal they are about as close as you can get in my opinion. Jerry Dover had posted on Bob's before the crash some good information on all three against each other and I saved it somewhere but cant seem to find it right now. I was quite surprised how they compared. Yes, the clone costs are getting higher but they are still cheaper than an animal starting out. They use regular gas which is a plus, you can get a lot more races on one before rebuilding them is needed, and over all cost of a rebuild is less.

Found it. Right from a post Jerry himself made before the crash......

Clone

Red Plate 5.0 to 5.3 either pipe
Silver Plate 7.0 to 7.7 depending on header size used
Purple Plate 8.6 to 9.2 depending on header size used
Blue Plate 9.2 to 10.5 depending on header size used & stage of engine
Unrestricted 12.3 to 12.7 Stage 3 with large header (deduct 1hp for mini pipe)
Unrestricted 12.9 to 13.40 stage 4 with large header (deduct 1.2 hp for mini pipe)

B&S Flathead

WKA Purple .425 Plate 5.2 to 5.8 hp
Blue IKF .425 5.7 to 6.3 hp
WKA Turquiose .500 7.2 to 7.8 hp
IKF Red .500 Plate 8.0 to 8.5
WKA Gold .575 9.0 to 9.6
Unrestricted 11.2 to 11.8

B&S Animal

WKA Purple 7.0 to 7.5 hp
WKA Blue 8.2 to 8.8 hp
WKA Gold .505 9.6 to 10.2 hp
Gold 3 Hole .312 11.0 to 11.5 hp
Black Plate (size escapes me) approx 13hp
Unrestricted Stock 15.4 to 16.0 hp

It bears pointing out that the WKA flatheads and animals are alcohol motors, while the clones are gas.
Also, of the builders where the high clone prices are coming from, a WKA animal will be a $1400 to $1600 motor. A flathead even more.

All the thanks to Jerry Dover......

Our biggest reasons for going with a clone was because I knew in blue clone we could run in a class with 12-14 karts almost every week since we followed a series. When not following the series most tracks also ran the blue clone with their gold plates which simply meant that we could buy a clone for half the money of a new animal and still compete with them. It worked for us and we will be doing it again next year.

Here in Virginia at our Local Track Capital City and the VDKA State series the youth classes are mixed and it works out very well. I personally prefer the clones on my kids karts and have been very successful against the animals. The way they are mixed here is Purple Plate animal/flathead runs with the green plate big pipe clone. The Blue plate animal/ flathead runs against the purple plate small pipe clone. I have a kid in each class and we have hit victory lane 14 times this year between the two and have been on clones for all except 1. The first race of the season we ran an animal. I think they are very equal when matched up like this.

I agree, but sure don't understand about clone being less reliable or more expensive to run.

Agree Ken. We ran 22 races on our clone this year without a rebuild and did nothing more than change the oil after every race and an occasional spark plug. Our last race was at your track for the PEDKS race which we won in blue clone. I have zero complaints against the clone.

Back