Animal vs flatty

806KART

My son runs a class with an option of running an unrestricted flathead or gold 3 hole animal, is there any chance the flathead could win?same weight champ kart.

Sure it can I see flatheads and OHV engines mixed in classes all the time . and I have seen plenty of flatheads finish in front of OHV engines same as I have seen OHV engines finish in front flatheads

At the same weight it won't be even. The animal still has more power and torque to get going. A 20-30 lb weight break for the flatheads would even it out.

On a dry slick track it'll come down to tires and setup and if those are right, at the same weights, you'll probably be getting lapped unless your able to keep your foot down with the flathead we're the animal is on and off.

The animal on a small track will be off and on the throttle but the flathead being a momentum engine will carry its speed better.

On a big track once the flathead gets up to speed if you can get the most amount of speed you'll just have to run the animal down but the animal will always get going faster.

The track is the same for everyone. There is no advantage accorded the engine type because of the track condition.

On the dyno, there is a good deal of difference. A well built 3 hole gold is significantly stronger than an unrestricted flathead. At even up weight, it's a no brainer. Typically the flathead gets a 20-25# weight break against the 3 hole gold animal. I've never heard of them running even up.
I don't care how slick the track gets -- give me all the horsepower I am allowed and let me figure out how to hook it up to the track. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I'm surprised to see some of these post, we mix them on a 1/8th mile and the gold plate is a one hole plate and have found the Animal needs 10 lb, That's on Track results, biggest problem with this is guy's convince themselves they got No chance one way or another before they try it, with all else equal heck ya you got a real good chance with that flathead.

When I first started racing Animals, we had to run them like that. It was pretty even with Animals winning some and flatheads winning some. After running my Animal unrestricted, I can't see ever putting a plate back in it for any reason.

I'm surprised to see some of these post, we mix them on a 1/8th mile and the gold plate is a one hole plate and have found the Animal needs 10 lb, That's on Track results, biggest problem with this is guy's convince themselves they got No chance one way or another before they try it, with all else equal heck ya you got a real good chance with that flathead.

We run a 1 hole Gold plate animal at Racing promotor's track and it is very close between us and the Flat Heads. Unless you look at the engine you can't differentiate between the karts on the track.

I've always admitted I'm no motor guy, I would not know that but I would of thought just opposite the 1 hole would make more, what was the purpose of the 3 hole ?

Single hole is more of a Jr. plate. It's one hole @ .505

The 3 hole is just simply an Animal gold plate. 3 holes @ .312 each

I've seen both used to mix the F/H and Animal together. I've seen the 3 hole used more than the single hole.

Me personally, I would think the single hole would create more of a even field.

I did see Thomas Underwood smoke a field of Animals with a F/H at Batesville. If I remember correctly, they were running the 3 hole plate.

What's the one rule that will make all things equal or all things vastly different? Did ya say Tires? :)

Ya, Bryan said it right. 3 hole gold is a whole different animal than single hole gold - just look at the sizes.

I still say give me all the power I can get and let me worry about hooking it up. ;)

This is my first year racing and I race in the super heavy class.... basically I am running a T-7 with a stock clone and I run my brother with a T-6 with a animal with a restrictor .... He is in the 12.5 ??? and I'm in the 13.3 area ..... Ive talked to a lot of people and they said that I wont catch him and use the year to get seat time and get a animal ....any input ????? I believe the bully clutch is set at 3400 rpms to kick in and the kart handles good......

Here is the breakdown of how my class is :::::
400# (200# driver min.)
Flathead - Unrestricted 2014 WKA
Animal - 3 Hole Gold Plate 2014 WKA
Clone - 2014 AKRA small pipe, open clutch

Back