animal vs mx

billy4809

im building a rwyb kart and trying to decide if the animal engine is the way to go or buy a 250cc dirtbike motor and slap it on there will be running mostly small bullring tracks. which engine is the better bang for money and longevity.

strictly talking engine . the dirt bike.
there are other costs and problems that may override that option.

I have seen it many times when people spend big money on a small engine and have too much power for a small track.
It's too hard to control or they can't hook it up etc.
It must be embarrassing for someone with 50 HP to get beat by someone with 10.

I have seen it many times when people spend big money on a small engine and have too much power for a small track.
It's too hard to control or they can't hook it up etc.

I'll bet that the Animal that beats a 50 HP engine is not anywhere close to 10 HP......

Ok for purposes of explanation make it 500 HP on a small bull ring.:)

I imagine the 10 HP person is just as embarrassed when the 50 HP driver gets the tires right and laps the Animal 3 times at a Bull Ring track.

"This kart has got too much Power"...... NO real race kart driver has ever said That.........

Ask your next Animal customer if they would rather have a 10 or 50 HP Animal and let us know what they say???????

"Give me all the HP I can get and let me worry about hooking it up" -- that's always been my thought.

True, some people cannot set-up or handle a big HP kart...but that doesn't mean that all people cannot.

With that said, I've seen nicely built small block opens flat hand it to guys running bigger motors at the local level -- it's just not likely to happen with better competition around.

The other question the OP asked was about durability. I suspect that the stock (as long as you leave it fairly stock) 250 MXer will live for 1000s of miles -- do not expect a stroked animal (or any industrial based engine) to do the same.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian, I agree with you 100%. Most of the UAS newby's want to take a 50 HP engine and want to make it faster and that is the wrong approach. If they would concentrate on learning to drive the extra HP, making the engine package as light weight as possible (within reason and using some logic) and last but not least, put a fuel delivery system on the engine that will allow the engine to follow the throttle and be 'crisp' when you press the peddle down, they would have an instantly competitive kart that would run for a bunch of races without problems. The main objective to having a bunch of extra HP is getting it to the ground.........

Now, in all fairness to Jimbo, the bullring track is the great equalizer. You can have the 500 HP and go from first to last in an instant, however if you can get it hooked up, you can go from last to first in that same instant.

Billy, pick the powerplant you feel the most comfortable with, can get the most support with and the type of tracks you will be mostly running on. As far as longevity and expense, the MX probably has the advantage but it will also be the most difficult to mount on the kart (compared to the Animal). Just pick one and go racing.

Hope this helps you a little and sorry for temporarily hi-jacking your thread....

There is a very small dirt oval back yard bullring about 10 miles from me.
I have built and also supplied people that race there with engines and engine parts to make 15 to 25 HP Animals.
A young man that works for me goes there and wins with his 9.5 HP LO 206
I also had another customer that has done the same thing.
The reason is that the track is such that you can only go so fast on this track adding more HP doesn't help. In fact if usually hurts.
I love HP but if you are continuously turning you lap times are determined by how much traction you can get, the way the kart is set up, the tires you are required to use and the nut behind the wheel.
Remember Billy said he would be racing "mostly on small bull rings"
If he's racing on asphalt or a track with a straight a way or a bigger oval that will change things.
In all honesty i'm citing a very specific situation which is probably not that common.
Generally speaking if it's a 1/10th mile or bigger i'm sure more HP will really help.
If it's an asphalt road course more HP will definitely make you faster.
Tiny bull ring -- not so much.

Back