Another Flame clutch thread

Komet99

Getting into this 4 cycle stuff. Bought a Predator and it came with a Hilliard Flame clutch with the Bully drum conversion. Did I read somewhere that with this conversion there where shims that where needed?

Anyone have a link to this?

Good info here "Click here". Includes links and pictures. Here's a link to a good updated installation that's actually for a Hilliard Fire clutch but is same as the flame installation "Click Here". Shows step by step pictures/explanation for inboard or outboard installation.

Last edited:
I didnt put enough detail in my first post. What shims/spacers/washers go in what order with the Bully conversion when assembling the clutch after maintenance? I read somewhere about 6 washers...

Still not enough detail .
My take , between the driver/adapter and shoe assembly , whatever amount it takes to keep it from draging on the shoe assembly or aligh shoes in the drum so they dont hang out or aren't in too far .
If its the whole assembly on the output shaft , the same thing what ever amount or order to leave ten or twenty thousands end play .
Now that said a LO206 is a different story . What I've seen or read is they want it tight no end play .

There are different bully style adapters .
If your using the needle bearing /thrust bearing its best to have a washer on each side . The hardened type .

I have the pacers on the crank. Put it together last night. Cutch has a little end play on the crank and the drum has a little end play on the clutch.

What springs for a stock predator?

I didnt put enough detail in my first post. What shims/spacers/washers go in what order with the Bully conversion when assembling the clutch after maintenance? I read somewhere about 6 washers...
Use 6 of the little plated washers to space the clutch out on the crank. Newer clutches have been coming with a beveled spacer that equates to 5 washers.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Still not enough detail .
My take , between the driver/adapter and shoe assembly , whatever amount it takes to keep it from draging on the shoe assembly or aligh shoes in the drum so they dont hang out or aren't in too far .
If its the whole assembly on the output shaft , the same thing what ever amount or order to leave ten or twenty thousands end play .
Now that said a LO206 is a different story . What I've seen or read is they want it tight no end play .
So do I want end play on a box stock predator. The clutch has always acted funny to me. I have it bolted up tight like a l206. I have the Bully converson.

Add to my post. Will the clutch bolted tight on the shaft have to do with clutch engagment. It doesn't have a positive type lockup. Almost feels like it is slipping. The instructions that came with the bully conversion said to bolt it tight on the crankshaft with a l206 and I didn't think to check what to do on a predator. I bet that had caused me problems.

You do not need endplay on the drive hub, but you most certainly need endplay on the drum. Some choose to run a small amount of endplay on the drive hub as well. On the 206, that is NOT recommended...I suspect on the Predator it is the same.
Quick check would be if the clutch drum rotates freely before the retaining bolt is tightened and if that changes after it is tightened. If the drum does not spin as freely after the bolt has been tightened up would be indicative of not enough endplay for the drum.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks Brian. I do have end play and the drum and it rotates free. Just didn't know if the clutch should be mounted tight to the crank. In the instructions it says to mount it tight.
I was getting a feeling Saturday that I could feel a surge of power about mid straightaway. I thought maybe the clutch was bound up being to tight on the shaft but I guess not. It just doesn't seem like it has a positive engagment like some of the other karts do. I use the four white springs and it looks like it engages around 2800. I don't know. Thanks for the help.

I now have the thin part of the shoe turned with the rotation of the motor. I did find out Sunday when I took it apart to clean it I had one shoe backwards from the rest. I had three of them with the leading edge forward. Maybe that caused what I was feeling.
I talked to one of the other racers yesterday and when he runs the flame clutch he says he runs the thin part or trailing edge forward and has never had any trouble. Going to try that.

Back