Another Oil Thread (Lo206)

IRQVET

Curious to see if everyone uses. I know this is a very subjective subject. I'm not looking for the typical (I'll tell you why your wrong) responses which are usually common when EVERYONE considers themselves an oil expert. Just want to know what folks are using and if YOU feel it’s working for you.

According to the Briggs manual, it calls for 15 ounces of oil.

I can start if it pleases the court . . .

I run 16 oz on a 5 degree mount, comprised of:
  • 12oz Briggs 4T
  • 2oz of ZDDP
  • 2oz of Lucas Oil Additive
So far so good. (y)

I use and have tested 14 oz Amsoil 4T and the RLV 4T which I understand is packaged by another popular karting oil manufacturer. No gains in oil that I tested. Longevity and reliability is a different story. Per Rules any additive to the oil is not legal. Pg 7 #11

I use and have tested 14 oz Amsoil 4T and the RLV 4T which I understand is packaged by another popular karting oil manufacturer. No gains in oil that I tested. Longevity and reliability is a different story. Per Rules any additive to the oil is not legal. Pg 7 #11
Wasn't aware of that. thanks.

Is zinc an additive? Castor? Is it only an additive when added after the manufacturer? How can you tell? 🤔😏

In tech, we can check for flammable additives...but good luck detecting non-flammable lubricity additives.
I have a customer/friend who has a lab who can test it, but that's not an option trackside. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

If you put a lot of oil in 206 18 oz. dose it rob power? Got to add in cooling I would think. The oil and air flow is what keeps it alive!

Hey CarlsonMotorsport,

Should something like the Lucus oil additive not be used in the 206? Reason I ask is because I heard something about the Briggs oil needing to atomize in the crankcase or something simular. I wonder if the Lucus since it essentually thickens the oil, keeps it from doing that? I've become a custom to using Lucus in all my vehicles for the past 20 years, I guess I just never gave it much thought for karting purposes. (Go wrong stay wrong?)

I guess I need to stop using it in either event, as I didn't know using it was against the rulebook. Thanks Gab507!

Hey CarlsonMotorsport,

Should something like the Lucus oil additive not be used in the 206? Reason I ask is because I heard something about the Briggs oil needing to atomize in the crankcase or something simular. I wonder if the Lucus since it essentually thickens the oil, keeps it from doing that? I've become a custom to using Lucus in all my vehicles for the past 20 years, I guess I just never gave it much thought for karting purposes. (Go wrong stay wrong?)

I guess I need to stop using it in either event, as I didn't know using it was against the rulebook. Thanks Gab507!
Yes, oil additives are not permitted in L206 classes. (see my comment in that other thread)
Fortifying the oil by thickening it increases the oil pressure in an engine with an oil pump. These kart engines do not have a pressurized oiling system, so increasing the viscosity also increases resistance and parasitic drag. Think about it in extremes....you have a 20W oil and you're adding a small amount of 125W additive....it MUST increase the overall viscosity of the oil in the sump. Now consider adding even more additive, say 12 ounces of it to only 2 ounces of oil....that rotating assembly (crank rod and piston) has to push through that heavy oil like molasses in January!

The other thing to consider is that if all of your additive does not dissolve quickly, it can get stuck in the oil feed hole on the big end of the rod AND stop all oil from getting to the rod journal = BIG problems. I found this out many years ago when using a popular thick assembly lube when building an engine. I went on to develop our own assembly lube after that experience, but today most engine builders just assemble their engines with the same oil that the customer races with.

While Lucas oil additive is a great product and has some redeeming qualities and value to other applications, I don't feel that it is appropriate to use in our splash style oiling system engines at all.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I initially ran 4T but then our team switched to Motul 300V 0w-20 (and lately 0w-15 Sprint). I put in 450mL, 14deg Odenthal mount. The oil is changed after every race - no issues so far. The 2nd motor we just bought was broken in with Motul break-in oil (10W40)

When dyno testing an engine recently I became very frustrated because this particular Sr 206 engine was down .4 horsepower.
After checking all the usual suspects and spending more time on it than I want to admit. I just gave up. Now that's not something I normally do but I had so much other work to I decided I'd come back to it another day.
I took off my dedicated exhaust pipe, muffler, and O2 sensor, I disconnected, the air filter and temp sensor, I took out the oil fill plug and temp sensor. I removed the throttle cable from the carb. I unbolted the engine from the dyno and then drained the hot oil from the engine.
OH NOOOOO, Almost immediately I realized that this engine had way too much oil in it.
I was so mad at myself I turned out the lights and left building.
I used to have a list of things taped to the dyno that I normally check when I have such and engine.
I made out another list and taped it on the dyno again.
AAAAGRAH

AFAIK, after reading a technical article on the subject (for some motorcycle research) oils have closer to the same viscosity ONCE HOT. The cold viscosity affects cold starting (like FREEZING cold.) So I wouldn't worry about small amounts of additive once things were up to temp. However, chemical engineers earn big bucks for a reason -- hodgepodge mixes are black magic at best.

EDIT: Added the study:
http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0016/3287/A_Study_of_Motorcycle_Oils.pdf

Last edited:
Back