Any artists in here?

I’ve been looking into paints for t-shirts lately since it’s been a while since I’ve been in the loop, so to speak. I can’t remember what I used for shirts, but I know it was water based. The paint that I’ve seen the most lately is made by Createx. It’s a water based paint for fabrics that if heat set, will last a very long time. To heat set, let shirt dry completely, turn inside out, put waxed paper in between and iron with NO steam. Drain all water from iron first. I haven’t had any problems with that method before. If you can draw like what’s on this thread, you can airbrush. What kind of airbrush do you have? Double action is best, lots of good brands out there. I have a Paasche VL XL80. Bought it when it was the state of the art in 1983. Lol
I don’t have an airbrush but maybe I should get one. I can make stencils with the wife’s cricut that I use for my graphics. I could paint some of my designs on my kart body with an airbrush also so would probably be a good investment. Guess I better do some google research!

Last edited:
I've always envied folks that could draw. I always got C's in art and A's in drafting. :)
Played around with Cad Cam back in the day with an old 386, and got interested in 3D modeling in the '90's.
Ended up with 3DMax, but mainly ended up with some French software (Amapi, Carrara, and Hexagon) that I got along with pretty well.
Here's a render of a model I did back in 2009 with Carrara.

cobra.jpg

I've always envied folks that could draw. I always got C's in art and A's in drafting. :)
Played around with Cad Cam back in the day with an old 386, and got interested in 3D modeling in the '90's.
Ended up with 3DMax, but mainly ended up with some French software (Amapi, Carrara, and Hexagon) that I got along with pretty well.
Here's a render of a model I did back in 2009 with Carrara.

View attachment 14200
Would be fun to have that car in full size! I had a cad program 15 or so years ago only messed with it a time or two.

Is that with the airbrush? I may have to try this out and make some shirts. Any help on what ink to get? What do you use for stencils to make several? Cardboard plastic etc?
No, this was done with a calligraphy pen. It’s basically a chisel tip felt tip pen. I have a good set of fountain pens for writing which have metal nibs, but everytime I see the felt tip pens, I but a few. They’re cheaper, and you don’t have to clean them.

And....”stencil” is a bad word in hand lettering! Lol. But airbrushing, I’ve used stencils before, but not for lettering. With the airbrush I just freehand draw the lettering. A lot like grafitti.
Cool story:
When I was in junior high, they used to bring the diplomas down to the art room. And every study hall I’d go down and letter the students names with a dip pen and a bottle of ink. By my junior year they decided it would be “easier” to just get the names printed. Needless to say, I wasn’t to happy, mainly because I didn’t get to letter MY diploma.

And....”stencil” is a bad word in hand lettering! Lol. But airbrushing, I’ve used stencils before, but not for lettering. With the airbrush I just freehand draw the lettering. A lot like grafitti.
Cool story:
When I was in junior high, they used to bring the diplomas down to the art room. And every study hall I’d go down and letter the students names with a dip pen and a bottle of ink. By my junior year they decided it would be “easier” to just get the names printed. Needless to say, I wasn’t to happy, mainly because I didn’t get to letter MY diploma.
That’s awesome too bad you didn’t get to do your own though!

Nice sand sculpture Ted. You can have the helmets, that’s a serious talent. I’ll stick to shirts. Lol

I love doing portraits for some reason. So much detail and shading. I also am intrigued I suppose you could say by the human eye.

^^^ latest project^^^
Trailer for my buddy’s pulling truck. He wants all graffiti western style. This is just the rough in for spacing etc. the whole trailer will be painted. Lots of work, those letters are 6’ tall.

Adding color, ran out of red paint. Still thinking of a background.

Attachments

• 47E254F7-AD64-4DA5-88BA-24373CF57DA6.jpeg
    47E254F7-AD64-4DA5-88BA-24373CF57DA6.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 12
Back