Anyone else had this happen with their racing shoes?

phenom101

Soles just crumbling apart within a season?

I'm sure they've been touched by tire prep and who knows what...But it seems as if the Simpson shoe soles of recent are more "spongy" then I remember them to be and they just break down within a season. I've had a few buddies experience the same thing.

Just wondering.

Yes, Shoes and Gloves....I had some nice gloves just get destroyed. I refuse to buy expensive gloves or shoes...I've had good luck buying used wrestling shoes off ebay! Now I am a slob who gets tire prep every place but the tires!

two seasons on a pair of Racequip....good shoes and for gloves? i wear either mechanix's or some armored knuckle gloves that i get from the base exchange.....

I had the same problem with two pair of Simpson shoes. We stopped by the Simpson trailer at a race one day and talked to the sales guy. He was kind enough to knock some off the price because we had problems with the soles coming out. Make sure the glue dries or you will end up with socks glued to the soles! Speaking from experience Lol.

The softer the rubber, the quicker they wear out (like tires). I have a pair of racing shoes that the soles were hard as a rock from the start. Sounded like a tap dancer walking down the grid. I can't tell you the brand, but not a "big" brand. They were prizes at an awards banquet. They've held up very well, still function like knew. There's almost no wear on the sole. I've noticed the same thing in non-racing shoes. I know we need some grip in those treads for slick surfaces, but the harder soles will last a long time.

I pulled my Simpson speedway shoes out a couple months ago and they looked lke yo had left them in a puddle of acrysol. I mean the soles were jsut junk, the consistancy of a hord cookie. Oh well.

Ill tell you what. Sometimes you don't always get what you pay for. I bought the cheapest Sparco karting shoes you can buy for 99 bucks. One season the sole separated from the shoe and my toes were sticking out. I have had 3 seasons on a pair of AlpineStars Tech 1-K shoes and they are perfect. Granted I only ran dirt a few times and one indoor coke syrup race so I wasn't in the prep as much, but the shoes are mint. Nice rubber sole thats grippy, tons of feel, but hasnt worn out. They dont give me anything to say this but I will only buy their stuff from now on. 3 Seasons on the tech 1-k gloves and only minor holes. Still very wearable.

Ill tell you what. Sometimes you don't always get what you pay for. I bought the cheapest Sparco karting shoes you can buy for 99 bucks. One season the sole separated from the shoe and my toes were sticking out. I have had 3 seasons on a pair of AlpineStars Tech 1-K shoes and they are perfect. Granted I only ran dirt a few times and one indoor coke syrup race so I wasn't in the prep as much, but the shoes are mint. Nice rubber sole thats grippy, tons of feel, but hasnt worn out. They dont give me anything to say this but I will only buy their stuff from now on. 3 Seasons on the tech 1-k gloves and only minor holes. Still very wearable.

When I raced motocross Alpinestars were the only boots I'd wear, I'm sure their karting shoes are just as good.

Well, Since my last pair fell apart I've been wearing all black Converse. Light weight so they don't affect nose and comfortable too. Less than a pair of Simpson's and a lot cooler ;)

I had a big chunck of my sole fall off on my right foot it doesn't bother me too much because it fits better on my frame rail lol.

I wear a $20 pair of loafers I got at the shoe store! Well I haven't raced in a while but thats what I had been wearing

I got a few pairs of Pumas i have been wearing since i started 4 years ago and after giving them a nice wipe every week they look brand spankin new

Never understood why people would pay hundreds of dollars for a pair of racing shoes when a pair of shoes you can buy just about anywhere will do the exact same thing, as long as the sole isnt slick as heck. I race in a pair of 5-6 yr old pair of everlast shoes with a grippy sole, and they are the most comfortable shoes i own. All you need is something comfortable, id rather have comfortability over something thats made specifically for racing and costs 3x as much. That said, the alpinestars brand someone mentioned in a post above is a real good brand for racing wear, and does not wear out easy at all, but for the price, ill stick with something cheaper.

Back