Anyone ever use the Alfano 6 tach/datalog?

what about indoor tracks ? do you have a beacon to set up to read from or do they read from the mychron beacons ?
Don't quote me but I thought I read somewhere where they could pick up a beacon and which kind of not sure..
Myself I would never be indoors...

What have you had use mychron customer support for?..
Most often things like cracked screen from crashing. Heard of needing the board replaced because a unit wouldn’t pick up lap times. Always quick to repair and ship back and minimal if any charges. Where do you send an Alfano for repair when the screen gets road rash, Belgium?

Most often things like cracked screen from crashing. Heard of needing the board replaced because a unit wouldn’t pick up lap times. Always quick to repair and ship back and minimal if any charges. Where do you send an Alfano for repair when the screen gets road rash, Belgium?
They come with a 5-year warranty and they're made in Italy...

I’m not seeing them at that price. The tach is $390 you add a CHT for 14mm plug and it’s now $475 at that point by a mychron 5
I had the micron 4 and had to put the beacon out on the track. It had a temperature sensor but really I wasn't attuned to it that much just basically my lap time. I am pretty new so getting the head temperature didn't seem all that relevant in an air-cooled engine...
I assume there's some kind of jetting indication I could get from how hot it's getting but I haven't gotten that far into my tuning abilities yet... I don't have a computer or Wi-Fi so I would have to add that into the cost of buying a mychron 5..

I had the micron 4 and had to put the beacon out on the track. It had a temperature sensor but really I wasn't attuned to it that much just basically my lap time. I am pretty new so getting the head temperature didn't seem all that relevant in an air-cooled engine...
I assume there's some kind of jetting indication I could get from how hot it's getting but I haven't gotten that far into my tuning abilities yet... I don't have a computer or Wi-Fi so I would have to add that into the cost of buying a mychron 5..
Mychron 5 doesnt use a beacon.
Computer or WiFi needed for what? Everything you would need to know is right there on the tach.

(maybe wrong) but thought a beacon would be needed for indoors tracks, because the gps will not read through the building material,
wifi is needed for to download the info from the mychron 5 to the computer so you can run the my laps program for graphs and
keeping the info stored so you can erase from mychron

(maybe wrong) but thought a beacon would be needed for indoors tracks, because the gps will not read through the building material,
wifi is needed for to download the info from the mychron 5 to the computer so you can run the my laps program for graphs and
keeping the info stored so you can erase from mychron
And for like me I don't have Wi-Fi or a computer...

Mychron 5 doesnt use a beacon.
Computer or WiFi needed for what? Everything you would need to know is right there on the tach.
I would think using Bluetooth I would be able to download my laps onto my wife's tablet which has a much bigger screen and I could see the lap overlays and which line on the track was fastest. it seems that little teeny screen it would be hard to see...
I'm not convinced the micron 5 is better in any way.. something about me I'm not one who follows what everybody else is doing..
First and foremost in my opinion I think the alfano looks much better.. I like the idea of three satellites instead of two for more accuracy. I like the idea of the sealed battery instead of one that would allow water to get in.. I like the idea of downloading on an app with Bluetooth instead of having to have a Wi-Fi connection.. I don't even have a computer so I'd have to buy that...

You can get a WiFi hotspot device , such as one from Straight Talk , but I think some tracks have WiFi . I still use the Mycron 4 myself . I get all I need from it . I have my own beacon that I put out , if a track doesn't have one . I look at RPM's , the drop , engine temp , lap times , which at the track is really all you need . You can feel the kart telling you what it needs for adjustments , jmo

One thing I will attest to, all of our friends and team mates have Mychrons and the Alfano battery life blows them away! It literally lasts months before needing a charge. Not the case with any Mychrons I've seen...

The Alfano 6 LITE is the standard 1 temp/RPM gauge and is on sale at many places for $360. Over $100 cheaper than the M5.

Alfano and Mychron offer similar quality and data. They have been around in the sprint karting and car racing world in Europe for many years and if they are not under any special sale offer with the same sensors or level they are both about the same price. I do have one of the more advanced Alfanos on my KZ in Europe but I do find easier to find the data on Mychrons. On most cases all I need is an old Mychron 3 and I find all the extra not useful for the average driver. In Europe Alfano's customer service might be better than Mychron's. at least in Spain, but in the US so far nobody can beat the customer service of Mychron, with personnel at most of the major events on dirt, sprint and RR.

Lately I've been turning most of my research to the alfano 6 light... I know their website says they offer a 5-year warranty.. I've called several shops that sell them and not one of them have had one come back... I'm well aware that anything could happen and was reminded of such with my wife's 2021 car broke down with less than 600 miles...
I'm still attracted to the looks of the alfano more, I don't have Wi-Fi or a computer for the micron but I do have Bluetooth and can download an app on my phone or a tablet... I do like the idea of being able to configure my screen and have the information in the places and the sizes that I like... it seems having the battery integrated with the unit keeps it much more waterproof.. and three satellites capable instead of two sounds better for accuracy..
It's obvious if it was a popularity contest the micron would win... But user friendly I really like the alfano...

We love ours. Sadly they have caught on and the price seems much closer to the Mychrons now.. I'm seeing more and more of them at the tracks here in FL now.
as of 3/2021 you can get them NEW for $351 shipped, i LOVE MINE, race outdoor oval asphalt

you can also quickly remove it and put it on another kart if you like or have more than one kart

I would think using Bluetooth I would be able to download my laps onto my wife's tablet which has a much bigger screen and I could see the lap overlays and which line on the track was fastest. it seems that little teeny screen it would be hard to see...
I'm not convinced the micron 5 is better in any way.. something about me I'm not one who follows what everybody else is doing..
First and foremost in my opinion I think the alfano looks much better.. I like the idea of three satellites instead of two for more accuracy. I like the idea of the sealed battery instead of one that would allow water to get in.. I like the idea of downloading on an app with Bluetooth instead of having to have a Wi-Fi connection.. I don't even have a computer so I'd have to buy that...
How do you read/post here on Bob's without a computer?

They are both good and at thair normal price they are about the same. The biggest difference in the US is customer service. The reason why Alfanos were once more popular in Europe was exactly that one, that in Europe Alfano had a better customer service, but in the US nobody is even close to Mychron's customer service.

Back