Anyone have access to a mill?

ABR #69

I need "want" some parts milled and don't want to hassle with an rc forum or a local machine shop.

Anyone have a mill that would be able to make me two parts identical to each other. Fairly simple and I think can be easily done. I'll supply all materials and compensate for the time if you'd like.

I should add that it's roughly 2" tall, 3/4" wide. Delrin or HDPE whichever is easiest. Both should make a piece sturdy enough for what I need. As long as it's not too thin in key spots.

I need two "Birdcages" for a RC four link suspension made. I'll supply bearings to go in on the axle for the bird cages to rotate on. And to get the ID of the bird cage. Just don't have the machines to make a quality piece. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Can't believe no one could make these, everyone that busy or just don't want to bother with it?
Kinda strange nobody has responded! Do you have a print of what you want? I'm in CA, but i'll look at what you need and see if I can do it. I've always done my own prototype stuff...designed and machined!

Birdcage
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums...5-CBA4-4735-95F7-9095B0D4D91D_zpsk4bzncu7.jpg

As far as dimensions, I think about 2" tall. 1" wide total, the whole barrel on the axle.
Then the up right parts will be 1/4, with 1/4 between the two ends. 1/8 on outside of each up right. Make sense? Those might be little bigger than actually needed, I'll give full dimensions when I have someone that thinks they can do it.

What it's for
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums...9-001F-4970-8F30-3A001773FC47_zpsvlz4diod.jpg
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums...9-242C-4EAA-A339-DB65CDEBBF62_zpswsve4fxa.jpg

No problem, thanks for the input. I don't know what all it entails to make something like this, if anyone has a better suggestion that is more than welcome as well!

Lol, those are for a full size late model. They're CNCed yes. I need something similar to that, not the exact thing. I want these for a 1/10 scale RC car.

I think these could be done in one piece of material, unlike it's full size counterpart there.

the down fall is your looking at... at least 10 set ops on the mill and 4 parts... some of that will be real tight tolerances... if you loose a part it will be there and you will need a back up part... you don't have a blue print so everything will have to be pulled of the rc car then make a print by hand... to be honest its a little part that will be an arm and a leg in machinist cost... could you take the part you have and mod it to do what you want??? if you an do it that way it will save you in the long run... if you have the stuff I can walk you through how to make a blue print... it will save you some...

I have searched all over for a part to "make it work". Nothing i've found will come close.

Why would it be so hard, it seems fairly simple. I wish I had access to the machines, I feel I could turn it out. But, I don't know. Maybe someone can explain why it's so hard?

its not so much its a hard part... its the set up time to make the part... in this trade you get payed to make parts not the time you spend to set up the machine...

We've reviewed your request and conclude that 'IF' this were too be a high demand item, we could work something out. However, as a 'couple-to-a few' (dollar-wise)....neither can afford to make them. Definitely suggest....'Made-in-China'! As stated above....this is not an ez task if making 'few' of them. In the pic you have shown, how much do those parts cost(?) and, what is the 'cost of the tooling' too produce them? What are YOU 'willing' too pay on an hourly basis is probably a fair question even before attempting an estimation...especially if you feel it too be a 'simple task! Your project looks too be a 'fun' challenge, but 'fun' rarely pays the 'fun...d's due'. Good Luck w/your endeavor. PS....try this, get a piece of balsa wood from a hobby shop equal too the size you suggest and some 'carving' tools from same....'have at it'! :)

Birdcage
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums...5-CBA4-4735-95F7-9095B0D4D91D_zpsk4bzncu7.jpg

As far as dimensions, I think about 2" tall. 1" wide total, the whole barrel on the axle.
Then the up right parts will be 1/4, with 1/4 between the two ends. 1/8 on outside of each up right. Make sense? Those might be little bigger than actually needed, I'll give full dimensions when I have someone that thinks they can do it.

What it's for
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums...9-001F-4970-8F30-3A001773FC47_zpsvlz4diod.jpg
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums...9-242C-4EAA-A339-DB65CDEBBF62_zpswsve4fxa.jpg
this description means there a hole lot of tolerance when it's about 2" and about 1". you need to be clearer of what you want with a drawing with real numbers on it. I wouldn't know where to begin if I were doing it.

Hrmm, the parts in he pic are from a full scale late model. They're in the range of $1000.
That's just a reference, not what I'm actually looking for. I'm working on drawings right now for measurements, thought I'd have the drawings done but haven't had time to finish it.

What I want is no where near as intricate as the picture, I want about the most basic version of that you can get, lol.
There is no parts I can get for an RC car to make these, they don't make anything close.
If there was trust me I'd have done it already.

I think I have a way to do it, just a little more complicated. I'll just have to try it sense this just seems too complicated for anyone to attempt.

Hrmm, the parts in he pic are from a full scale late model. They're in the range of $1000.
That's just a reference, not what I'm actually looking for. I'm working on drawings right now for measurements, thought I'd have the drawings done but haven't had time to finish it.

What I want is no where near as intricate as the picture, I want about the most basic version of that you can get, lol.
There is no parts I can get for an RC car to make these, they don't make anything close.
If there was trust me I'd have done it already.

I think I have a way to do it, just a little more complicated. I'll just have to try it sense this just seems too complicated for anyone to attempt.

Ok...then complete 'your' drawing(s) as YOU see/what them and (then) seek a source The term 'trust-me' is not necessarily acceptable in 'business' anymore. Also, you might chose too understand 'why' you havn't receiced 'more' interest in your post of which You view as 'simple'(?) You maybe 100% correct (as you see it) but....'we' don't SEE it! Note....If you can Not presently purchase what you need...you are probably on-too-something! (I gather maybe ur onto that)

The reason there is no parts available for this is the fact this is a complete custom project. There are very few that has ever attempted to build an RC latemodel. Not that it can't be done, as it has. Some don't use a true bird cage for the rear end and, others just use something simple.

The way my chassis is built it needs a bird cage built closer to the real thing. I'll give it a shot, see where I get with it.

Back