Anyone run a disc Brake Protector?

agepag

Going to a new club next season and the curbs seem to be a bit higher. Thinking of running a disc brake protector on both of my boys chassis. Any info, the chassis are both OTK, 1 Tony kart, 1 Exprit, i saw some righetti ones on ebay, they may fit, if not I could just get the OTK ones.

Thanks

You definitely need one! I don't think you can run without one. Anyone will work just look up Wolf Plate Guard and many styles come up and you can find one that best suits your needs.

I don't think that's what I was looking for. The ones I see online are made of nylon and bolt into the bearing housing

I’ve never seen a brake disc break due to curb contact. You’ll be fine. If you want the tummy comfort, go with OTK ones.

I’ve never seen a brake disc break due to curb contact. You’ll be fine. If you want the tummy comfort, go with OTK ones.
No, but bent ones can be a real pain to replace between rounds. :)
With that said, I don't think I've seen a brake disc guard that will protect the rotor from hitting all the time.
Often wondered why sprint chassis manufacturers didn't place the rotor in the center of the axle (where it belongs.) It would still be vulnerable to curbs, but certainly wouldn't take the abuse that left mounted brakes on left turns do currently. You'd have to really shorten the corners. LOL

We cut up an old Birel AR4 and a Coyote WT Free Roller (back in the day) to develop a couple R&D Vector sprint karts with center mounted brake. Even had some success with it in Florida during testing, but at the time there wasn't much interest in 4 cycle sprint racing. I've still got the jig table, but I have plenty on my plate as it is.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Otk rotors are oretty small diameter so it is essentially unnecessary. Margay has/had a pretty big rotor I’ve taken a chunk out of on a couple occasions. I wouldn’t bother on an otk

Back