Anyone tried a ktm520 sx?

Flash06

Has anyone tried a 520 sx on a kart or does anyone on here have much knowledge about this engine? Btw from everything I've read this engine is 510 cc not 520cc so it should be uas legal, but I have no experience in how this engine performs on a bike much less on a kart.

My guess would be pretty much like any of the 450's. The toque on these big 4 strokes is huge. They'll all lay you in the seat right off idle. Cammer engines can turn more rpm and carry wider torque curves. I know of some guys using the ktm's in Georgia. Can't tell what model.

The bore and stroke of 95mm X 72mm puts it at 1/2 cc over the 510 limit, so not legal.

I've been on a 500 KTM bike. They run great! The engines aren't cheap. You can buy a more powerful JAWA for less money and you don't have to fight the water.
Mike

Even if it was 501cc from the factory it would not be UAS legal. If you read the rulebook closer you'll see that the engine has to be 500cc's or less from the factory and then it can be up to 510cc to account for wear. At least I think it says that. Take a look.

But, the KTM 520 is an awesome off-road bike. I regretfully passed up an opportunity to buy one from a buddy of mine recently. That thing was a dream ride. Controllable power and plenty of it. Not as heavy as you would expect, either.

But really, a 450 is PLENTY so I would suggest that route. Even the KTM 350 is plenty of power, from what I've heard/read.

* I'm riding a Honda CRF450X now and LOVE it! Maybe when the bike gets tired the engine will find it's way to a kart, electric start and all. :D

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<div class="page" title="Page 2">

</div>
</body>
</html>

The rules read 510cc from the best I can see. I'm only asking about this because a friend of mine has easy access to one cheap. I was thinking some porting, exhaust and the right cam, switched to methanol and it should be a healthy 60+ hp. Might just have to try it and see what happens. How much are the jawas going for?

Jawa's are in the 3,000.00 range, rebuilt used ones. The HP ratings are usually from the rear wheel on a bike, but it's more about the torque of those monsters, wicked fast on a kart. Mike's talking about a new engine right from KTM 5,000.00 he likes shinny new toys.

http://unlimitedallstars.org/2013uasrulebook.pdf

Rules state 510cc nothing about how they got to that displacement.

I've had a few bad A 450's and if this this pulls harder than them, then it sounds like a no brainer for the price it's at. This guy isn't too crazy about uas legal it will be mostly a Rwyb kart anyway.

Thanks for the correction on my 500cc thought. If someone has a 2012 or 2011 rulebook see if it was in there. I think it was lost in translation when someone "simplified" the engine rules. I'm thinking Eric Rector did this for 2012. Anyway, that's beside the point. 510 it is, clear as day. But 510.001 is illegal.

There's a lot of good deals on used Jawas this time of year in the UK. I've seen quite a few lately near 1500 US, problem is the lazy sob's don't want to pack it up and ship it out, they all want you to pick it up from them, lol.

I am all about new stuff. If I buy something used, I automatically think FULL rebuild. Nothing like spending cash on something, going to all the trouble to make it mount up and fit to take it out one time and have it break on you. Now you have to fix something damaged.

I've been a dirt bike guy for a while. It's a dirt bike. They are usually selling it for a reason or they stopped riding it for a reason. If you're going to race something, I HIGHLY recommend you don't just bolt it on and go race. Riding a dirt bike in the woods is a heck of a lot different than racing it on a kart. We spend a lot of time in that upper RPM range for a long period of time.

Mike

I am all about new stuff. If I buy something used, I automatically think FULL rebuild. Nothing like spending cash on something, going to all the trouble to make it mount up and fit to take it out one time and have it break on you. Now you have to fix something damaged.

I've been a dirt bike guy for a while. It's a dirt bike. They are usually selling it for a reason or they stopped riding it for a reason. If you're going to race something, I HIGHLY recommend you don't just bolt it on and go race. Riding a dirt bike in the woods is a heck of a lot different than racing it on a kart. We spend a lot of time in that upper RPM range for a long period of time.

Mike

Well I'm all about buying cheap used stuff and making it go fast I've been doing it for years and if you look at my stuff you would think its brand new. I also have a lot of experience with dirt bikes and racing period, I also build my own motors and karts, I wouldn't buy a pos mike. Im only asking for input based upon the performance of this particular motor which obviously I know nothing about.

Back