Anyone using Motosponder system?

I would like some honest opinions / first hand reviews of this system. The RFID price is what really has me interested.

Would love to talk to someone who is currently using it.

Feel free to PM me.

Our local track put it in last year as cost effective way of not having to go with the amb transponders. There was a learning curve. It is working but they have yet to roll out the web so racers can keep track of things with it.

Late to the party but...

I've been experimenting with it (Motosponder) for a couple of seasons on rental karts and this year am in the process of trying it out for racing (asphalt sprint) as well.
It's not the most convenient system, at least not for rental karts (it was designed for Motocross racing after all), but it does work reasonably well. I've just picked up a stand-alone USB tag reader (via Amazon) to make registering tags into the system easier (as otherwise, the only way to get a tag read is to walk it past the timing antennas on the track) and three different types of tags for further testing. We had been using the paper inlay tags that came with the Alien RFID Dev kit hardware we're using, but are looking for something more durable/weatherproof.

Cheers,
--
Terry McG

We have used the system for over a year. Now depending on your desired use the system works well in some and poorly in others. We got the system originally for a 1/10 mile oval track with a 30Ft wide coverage on the front straight cars ranging from 20mph to 35mph antennas set 10ft above the track and this setup worked well there is a fairly steep learning curve for the software but once you got a handle on it all the functions are great and the web data is a fantastic addition we used the track side web for drivers we also set up two monitors one in the stands displaying current race info and one at the pit rally point showing line ups, Now there is also consideration to be made with tags. the Paper tags will not read if placed on Metal or carbon fiber surfaces, the Ultra tags work well even on the metal wings but orientation of tag is important. After the first year of use we decided to move the system to our 1/8 mile dirt track featuring our Micro 600cc cars covering a 40ft straight speeds from 25 in the jr classes to 80mph in the 600cc classes. Antennas original at 13ft from track then lowered to 11 ft, with the slower cars it worked well only placement of tags was issue often had to reissue tags and place them personally as I guess not all images we provided were interpreted the same as intended but minor issues, however on the faster cars reads were less than 60% we tried everything switched all tags to ultra tags and worked with orientation of the antennas to create the optimum detection field but it was of no use on any class from 250cc to 600cc Sprint Carts, Some of this may be due to the roll cages and other electronics of the cars, we are at the point now of selling our system to get a transponder setup so we can run a season points series for the 600 Turf tire and A class. In the motocross setting the system works well tags on top of helmets far from any metal parts of the bikes seams to have little issue scoring at most speeds we had, as a chute system it is top notch and the track side data via the web interface is loved by all the racers and fans alike. My over all rating for the system is 7 out of 10. Works fantastic in the right settings but has its limitations. If your interested in a used setup you can contact me. We have the 4 antenna setup with up to 50 ft cables and approximately 100 paper tags. we also will include our remote setup antenna used for entry scanning.

We have used the system for over a year. Now depending on your desired use the system works well in some and poorly in others. We got the system originally for a 1/10 mile oval track with a 30Ft wide coverage on the front straight cars ranging from 20mph to 35mph antennas set 10ft above the track and this setup worked well there is a fairly steep learning curve for the software but once you got a handle on it all the functions are great and the web data is a fantastic addition we used the track side web for drivers we also set up two monitors one in the stands displaying current race info and one at the pit rally point showing line ups, Now there is also consideration to be made with tags. the Paper tags will not read if placed on Metal or carbon fiber surfaces, the Ultra tags work well even on the metal wings but orientation of tag is important. After the first year of use we decided to move the system to our 1/8 mile dirt track featuring our Micro 600cc cars covering a 40ft straight speeds from 25 in the jr classes to 80mph in the 600cc classes. Antennas original at 13ft from track then lowered to 11 ft, with the slower cars it worked well only placement of tags was issue often had to reissue tags and place them personally as I guess not all images we provided were interpreted the same as intended but minor issues, however on the faster cars reads were less than 60% we tried everything switched all tags to ultra tags and worked with orientation of the antennas to create the optimum detection field but it was of no use on any class from 250cc to 600cc Sprint Carts, Some of this may be due to the roll cages and other electronics of the cars, we are at the point now of selling our system to get a transponder setup so we can run a season points series for the 600 Turf tire and A class. In the motocross setting the system works well tags on top of helmets far from any metal parts of the bikes seams to have little issue scoring at most speeds we had, as a chute system it is top notch and the track side data via the web interface is loved by all the racers and fans alike. My over all rating for the system is 7 out of 10. Works fantastic in the right settings but has its limitations. If your interested in a used setup you can contact me. We have the 4 antenna setup with up to 50 ft cables and approximately 100 paper tags. we also will include our remote setup antenna used for entry scanning.
So were you using a High performance or the Chute system?

Back