ARC 6617 Flywheel with PVL Coil

Skidude

I’m thinking about going this route on a flathead. Is there a rule of thumb for setting timing compared to a regular flathead coil? If I would set the flathead coil timing at 35* would I back it down for the PVL? RPM range will be 8500-9800. What are the pros and cons of the PVL on a flathead?

the PVL will pull some timing so you can set your timing a bit higher and it will pull a few degrees up top for ya. My S/A flatty has that setup with the blue coil.

The PVL ignition coil does not retard with higher RPMs like the OEM flathead coil does. Therefore you will not need as much timing advance as the OEM coil. Depending on modifications and carb size, timing setting would be 30-32 degrees for Methanol with a .025-.030'coil gap
So, if recommended timing is 34-36, 30-32 would be my optimal range? (Dyno 126 cam) Also, is this coil & flywheel combo legal on a limited flathead? WKA tech

So, if recommended timing is 34-36, 30-32 would be my optimal range? (Dyno 126 cam) Also, is this coil & flywheel combo legal on a limited flathead? WKA tech
Yes, Jody is spot on.
The PVL does not retard, where the flathead coils all retard (some more than others.)
I do not think they have changed the rules for limited on ignition and flywheel so that would mean that you cannot use the pvl coil on a legal WKA limited. (I could be wrong though.) Anyone else care to chime in that has a current WKA rule book?

Its all good . Stroked cranks and really big bores aren't legal limited engines either . Limited is an appropriate as a term , much better then , the constrained class .... :) bad humor hopefully some of yall get it .

Back