arc rod

ok....so they only have 99.1 percent of everything!! lol!! but...I do have a question on what screamer said....we don't have a oil return hole rule on our motors. would it be advantageous to smooth out the 'lip' on the hole in the head? would it be better to open this hole up bigger? i'm new to doing the work on my own heads this year.....and need some advise!!! thanks and back to our story on the arc rods.....
Mikey;the oil return hole is in the bock

Mikey;the oil return hole is in the bock

They dont race by no rules, they make them up as they go, would love to see someone up on there game roll into watermelon with an engine built to there rules, my guess after the races they would make some new rules

not a foundry?

They don't make plastic, but they sell plastic fuel tanks and hoses.
They don't heat treat, but they sell 'treated rings'.

"Why?"... Because they are a parts shop and are one of the most talked about shops that I know who are always on the cutting edge of new developments. Perhaps they are doing research on this new rod before they offer it to the public... just as they did with the steel flywheel... I hate to second guess/speak for them, so I will find out.

They are a machine shop. No, they don't have a forged rod and they aren't developing one. Done.

They are a machine shop. No, they don't have a forged rod and they aren't developing one. Done.
Ok. So maybe they are not truly 'forged'? Idk. I'm not a foundry, just an ex-machinist. Maybe we should refer to them as the 'newer' or 'performance' rod...

ok....so they only have 99.1 percent of everything!! lol!! but...I do have a question on what screamer said....we don't have a oil return hole rule on our motors. would it be advantageous to smooth out the 'lip' on the hole in the head? would it be better to open this hole up bigger? i'm new to doing the work on my own heads this year.....and need some advise!!! thanks and back to our story on the arc rods.....
Mikey...the 'subject' oil return hole I speak of is the hole in the case/block between the lifter bores as viewed from the deck and 'needs' too be opened up.....even more so in modified higher rpm motors....jmo

Ok. So maybe they are not truly 'forged'? Idk. I'm not a foundry, just an ex-machinist. Maybe we should refer to them as the 'newer' or 'performance' rod...
Thats funny....I've never heard of an 'ex-machinist'! I've always thought you either are, or arn't until the day you 'can't' anymore. (I Hope you still 'can'...anyhow) :)

Thats funny....I've never heard of an 'ex-machinist'! I've always thought you either are, or arn't until the day you 'can't' anymore. (I Hope you still 'can'...anyhow) :)

Add it to the dictionary. Still have tools, but not the big machinery. I send it out, but old habits do die hard as I find myself buying new power tools to machine some parts... tho, I still consider myself a student, even tho its been many years since I've been in school...

True, it is not a "forged" rod. It is made of a better, tighter grain material that shows better wear resistance and slightly more strength. Should have them on the shelf in a few days...

Last edited:
We allow the +.010 or +.020 provided the motor still passes the CC test and does not have popup. Some of the guys are still nursing along old blue HF greyhounds and those can be .030-.050 in the hole.

I have the fore runner Central Machinery HF Blue which came before the Greyhound. They make a nice SA engine on methanol (390 Carb allowed) and use all the same gaskets and parts as the BS engine. Milled 14cc with big valves (32-28) and all the other good stuff. They must be as good as the newer because I buzz 8000 RPM every race. Like my name somethings get better with age!!!!!!

You run stock appearing if i remember correctly, right? If so, then definately pull the engine apart and open up the oil return hole that is between the lifters in the block, if it were me i would open it up to 5/16th size if you can make it that big without compromising the integrity of the lifter bores, and also open up the oil hole on both ends of your rod, where the rod journal is and where the wrist pin is, that would give you the best lubrication. you can also hone out the rod journal a little for more clearance and to free up the crank/rod a little for less resistance, but dont take it too far. Go .001" at a time and measure with plasti-guage or however you choose to clearance your rods. Do you lap your rings and valves?

Back