Are sprocket protectors worth the trouble?

Depends. A couple of weeks ago a particular sprint track, I was running a KT100 Yamaha and 9-76 gearing. Sprocket protector was taking a beating, and is only about 1/16th larger in diameter than my 76 tooth and 35 chain. Never threw the chain, never bent the sprocket

Depends. A couple of weeks ago a particular sprint track, I was running a KT100 Yamaha and 9-76 gearing. Sprocket protector was taking a beating, and is only about 1/16th larger in diameter than my 76 tooth and 35 chain. Never threw the chain, never bent the sprocket
Won't get that lucky running dirt.

Back in "ancient times" they made sprocket blanks - just like a two-piece sprocket only with no teeth. They just bolted to the hub on the opposite side of the sprocket to protect it and the chain. IMHO, they worked very well and still made it easy to change sprockets. As far as I know no one makes them any more. I take old sprockets, put them in the lathe and machine the teeth off to make my own blanks. I like them better than the current store-bought variety.

Back in "ancient times" they made sprocket blanks - just like a two-piece sprocket only with no teeth. They just bolted to the hub on the opposite side of the sprocket to protect it and the chain. IMHO, they worked very well and still made it easy to change sprockets. As far as I know no one makes them any more. I take old sprockets, put them in the lathe and machine the teeth off to make my own blanks. I like them better than the current store-bought variety.
Asuza still makes them in all sizes.

And this track is notorious for bending sprockets having a huge concrete dip in a quick elevation change, that you will never see on a dirt track....ever.
We have continuous ruts and rocks, dirt is no where near as smooth as asphalt, we run way less air than asphalt and the tire sidewall is way more flexible than asphalt tires

I've raced dirt ovals and I know exactly what you are talking about. I've also raced asphalt ovals as well as sprint tracks. I have never encountered on either type of oval, as an abrupt elevation change like what is on this sprint track XXX#40 where there is literally 1000s of grooves in the pavement from sprockets and chains and guards. That's why I put a steel sprocket guard protector on the kart for this track. My lower back still hurts from bottoming out in this corner if you slightly missed the approach. Your ruts and rocks are nowhere close to what this is like. I also use one on the local street races as not all asphalt is smooth when you start jumping manhole covers. And yes I support 2A as well.

The silver bare aluminum Azusa ones were the best just like their sprockets.

Back