Attention All Certified Tech

From Don’s sight.

Attachments

• FDB5936D-6AB3-4BB2-9AAD-5E3145B059F2.jpg
    FDB5936D-6AB3-4BB2-9AAD-5E3145B059F2.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 118
Don is akra a dictatorship or is there somewhere that we can go and voice our opinion? That is a honest question..I truly don't understand all this with the heads that were made illegal ON PURPOSE! Have the guys at the top lost common sense in all this ...I don't want any of this to be taken wrong but I'm new to being a tech but aren't we in the tech shed trying to prove to the rest of the field that the winner was legal ? If by some chance we happen to find that an engine builder missed a spec of some kind do we pat the driver on the back who had no idea the motor wasn't legal and tell them great win and then go on to make an announcement in the drivers meeting next week if you all want a chance to win you will need to get a motor from the builder who didn't do his job correctly because there's a chance they have an advantage over your engine builder who is making legal engines ...do we go with if more than one person is doing it then its not cheating its competing? I would be so happy to listen to the voice of reason and let someone explain this to me and make me understand but at this moment I'm not sure anyone can ...with all do respect

First I'll say Thank You Don for your time and effort and being on the right side of this, and Thanks to the others for there time as well.
I know there's a Committee for rules and knowing some of the names on that list ( at least was at one time ) I can't believe this is going to go the way it sounds like it is, Perhaps the buck does not stop with the committee majority there more just a steering committee. If there is no place the rest of us can go to voice our opinions, I hope AKRA see's this thread.

If the rules committee is just a steering committee, here's a thought ALL the certified techs should be the steering committee, and the buck should stop with majority of the rules committee.

Of the 6 steering committee members and other key individuals 4 of us have approached AKRA on our feelings. I am one who would like to take a hard line on this but let’s take a second to look seriously at the issue. Keep in mind that there are hundreds and hundreds of unsuspecting engine owners in our sport who have this problem and don’t know it. All of the committee members have brainstormed on how to do this with the least amount of cost and inconvenience. Let’s look at the options. Right now AKRA is giving a grace period of April 1 2022 for all to conform. Not sure that is going to work. To many out there and the tool won’t be ready for two weeks if it gets approved. So all who have engines to ship back now have shipping two ways to pay for plus the cost of the head fix “IF” the builder is willing to take on his responsibility. If so I guarantee you will be backlogged. You may not get the engine back for racing for sure here in Pa. and surrounding states in time to go racing. I suggested we give a 1year grace period to conform. Problem with that is those who have the head can race illegal for the year and those who don’t will be forced to get one to be competitive. So they think. Then for 2023 those who decided to purchase one just puts more money in the builders pocket As in my last lengthy post you will be waisting your money as for the flow on my bench for that head. So think about the money involved in all I have said to this point. Remember in my last lengthy post I spoke about techs that don’t pull heads because the promoters won’t let them due to upsetting karters due to the cost of repairs. So, no matter which way AKRA goes here there is a financial impact to the karting world. We are working to cut that financial impact down as much as possible. So all of you arm chair techs who don’t fully understand the deep seriousness to this situation take time to truly let it sink in. I understand some of my personally certified techs are upset with this and so am I but we need to look at the BIG picture. How to save the karter money. It’s here and we need to figure out how to fix it. At this point in time we will be forced to pull heads to look for the infraction. If you have a promoter who won’t let you then you as a tech should tell him to go pound sand because he cares more about his wallet than fairness to his karters. My suggestion after the grace period is as follows. Friday night/Saturday night shows keep an eye on the points in the points classes. Once a karter is leading and winning inspect the engine for several things. That will show the rest of the field and all others that you are watching. Money shows should be a tear down no matter what. If you find a Friday Saturday night with the head problem dq the engine and inform him not to bring it back. He may not know the rules on the problem. I will be posting information on this tool and it’s use in a day or so. If any of you have any POSITIVE suggestions on how to fix this with minimal cost to the karter let me review it. Thanks Don

First :
Thank You Don for shouldering the burden of informing the general public of the issue and enduring the attending wrath .
Instead of simply pointing out much of whats been said all over .
Here is a honest some what fair solution .
Make a tool to check for 60 * .
Keep the rule as is .
Allow as you say a grace period of 3 months .
Tech as normal , DQ anyone who fails after that period .
The ones running the money shows have access to other legal heads .
the local guy may never get teched . if he happens on a win in some series or money show with tech . Thats a DQ .
Very little monetary implication .

First I'll say Thank You Don for your time and effort and being on the right side of this, and Thanks to the others for there time as well.
I know there's a Committee for rules and knowing some of the names on that list ( at least was at one time ) I can't believe this is going to go the way it sounds like it is, Perhaps the buck does not stop with the committee majority there more just a steering committee. If there is no place the rest of us can go to voice our opinions, I hope AKRA see's this thread.
I agree with you , thanks to the guys who are actually techning these engine and makes proper call reguardless of whose sticker is on the engine . With that said at one time some of the engine builders who are utilizing these heads . So thats gonna cause a funny vote in my opinion . Anyone on bobs can buy a bare head for around $20 . Thats a very small expense in karting .

Probably the way it’s gonna go. The new tool is going to check the total depth of the lower cut. It will force everyone to be on the same playing field

My question will be, does the tool also make some heads that fit the current rule (30,45,60) also illegal?

My question will be, does the tool also make some heads that fit the current rule (30,45,60) also illegal?
I was waiting on that question. Yes. In our research we found some of the 60 cuts so low as to get the valve as close to the floor as possible that the cut was “out of spec” with the new tool. Now that we implemented a .020 margin on the valve it’s gonna be difficult to sink the valves to close. Those that have not been cut really deep will be ok. Most of those heads had the seat sunk quite a bit below the floor which caused the problem. All of the TG 1 heads will be out of spec if hogging on the seat

I am working on a deal with some builders to help with inspecting engines to curve the anxiety for those who may have concerns. Shipping to and from by the customer no cost for the inspection just the mew gasket. Box up and send back if legal. If not phone call to customer for repairs. Will stay in touch

Well don I agree with most that a thank you is in order from us to you ...I also am not probably as politically correct as you or most because I would not hesitate to call personally and let the one building these heads know the responsibilities of fixing his problem falls on him for cheating...he didn't just cheat his customers but everyone who raced against them .... I definitely understand there is a cost involved in this but I definitely don't want that cost to fall on someone who needs to buy an illegal part to compete ....but you have said that the flow difference did not show up on your check of this head so I definitely agree with you on a grace period to fix this then we DQ as we find the out of spec heads .... but I really do believe that we want members to join akra and I really feel like if that membership gave them a voice then we would be going in the direction along with the other benefits being a member gives you ...I have stressed to all that rolled through my tech last year how important it is for them to become a member if for no other reason just Incase they don't like my decision it gets them a second opinion.

I was waiting on that question. Yes. In our research we found some of the 60 cuts so low as to get the valve as close to the floor as possible that the cut was “out of spec” with the new tool. Now that we implemented a .020 margin on the valve it’s gonna be difficult to sink the valves to close. Those that have not been cut really deep will be ok. Most of those heads had the seat sunk quite a bit below the floor which caused the problem. All of the TG 1 heads will be out of spec if hogging on the seat
That sheds a different light on things .
Heads could be currently illegal two different ways it seems . Wrong angle and sunk too far .
My guess is most in the field now . Fit that bill .

Well don I agree with most that a thank you is in order from us to you ...I also am not probably as politically correct as you or most because I would not hesitate to call personally and let the one building these heads know the responsibilities of fixing his problem falls on him for cheating...he didn't just cheat his customers but everyone who raced against them .... I definitely understand there is a cost involved in this but I definitely don't want that cost to fall on someone who needs to buy an illegal part to compete ....but you have said that the flow difference did not show up on your check of this head so I definitely agree with you on a grace period to fix this then we DQ as we find the out of spec heads .... but I really do believe that we want members to join akra and I really feel like if that membership gave them a voice then we would be going in the direction along with the other benefits being a member gives you ...I have stressed to all that rolled through my tech last year how important it is for them to become a member if for no other reason just Incase they don't like my decision it gets them a second opinion.
Thank you and I agree about membership.

I am going to shoot some pictures and post to my site for those of you who have the ability to look for yourself. I hope to do shots from the head off and ones by just pulling the carb and viewing things from there. One thing for sure if you pull the carb and notice after you remove the carb gasket to the “D” shape of the port and you notice that area “entrance “ has no defined edge as compared to known stock part it is illegal. This one particular builder is smoothing that are out. We warned him in the rule book last year but he hasn’t followed the rule.

I am going to shoot some pictures and post to my site for those of you who have the ability to look for yourself. I hope to do shots from the head off and ones by just pulling the carb and viewing things from there. One thing for sure if you pull the carb and notice after you remove the carb gasket to the “D” shape of the port and you notice that area “entrance “ has no defined edge as compared to known stock part it is illegal. This one particular builder is smoothing that are out. We warned him in the rule book last year but he hasn’t followed the rule.
Don don't mean to come off as a smart butt comment, but in my simple mind, my first thought is then WHY do we need a tool to deem it illegal 🤔

Add a weight penalty to the karts with the 60 degree valves and let them run. That will make them go away real quickly.

Don don't mean to come off as a smart butt comment, but in my simple mind, my first thought is then WHY do we need a tool to deem it illegal 🤔
To stop them from creating a better flow of fuel and air to the cylinder to create more horsepower. We need to get all heads on the same playing field now that we discovered what is going on.

Back