Attention All Certified Tech

After following this thread since it began I happened to be talking to the guy, who is an AKRA tech man, about the 75 degree discussion and asked how the valves in my clone were cut. He said 75 degrees and he had been doing them that way for years. Didn't know they were illegal.

After following this thread since it began I happened to be talking to the guy, who is an AKRA tech man, about the 75 degree discussion and asked how the valves in my clone were cut. He said 75 degrees and he had been doing them that way for years. Didn't know they were illegal.
???? So I'm not confused, I don't want to further comment with out knowing I have a understanding, Just a tech man he's been doing them that way for years ? He didn't know they were illegal ? Or you didn't know ?
He's just a tech man and not a motor builder as well ? Either way with out a tool did he say how he knew they were 75 degrees ?

???? So I'm not confused, I don't want to further comment with out knowing I have a understanding, Just a tech man he's been doing them that way for years ? He didn't know they were illegal ? Or you didn't know ?
He's just a tech man and not a motor builder as well ? Either way with out a tool did he say how he knew they were 75 degrees ?
Oh he is a motor builder too and pretty well respected. Stays plenty busy and unless its an open motor he's pretty conservative.

As late as us getting in the year, why don’t we just run 2021 rules the rest of this year, and maybe work on 2023 rules so we can have them before the end of the year

The 2021 rules are the same as the 2022 rules. Nothing is changing in the written language. Only thing added in additional print is the tool to check the depth of the cut under the bottom cut.

Not that it matters but it's plainly stated in all 3 rule books (WKA,AKRA,NKA) in black & white 30/45/60 degree seat cut & 45 degree valve cut, so I guess he never reads the rule books or just took it upon himself to cut it whatever he wanted or wants to or possible just said he didn't know it was illegal to cover his butt, Idk :unsure:

Not that it matters but it's plainly stated in all 3 rule books (WKA,AKRA,NKA) in black & white 30/45/60 degree seat cut & 45 degree valve cut, so I guess he never reads the rule books or just took it upon himself to cut it whatever he wanted or wants to or possible just said he didn't know it was illegal to cover his butt, Idk :unsure:
IDK either but knowing the gentleman I really doubt there was illegal intent involved.

Idk if it was intent but if he is a tech man & don't know the rule book as plainly as that is written, then he don't need to be teching at any track because he probably don't know much about the rest of the rules either.
On one hand I agree with you. Then again, it took how long for this problem to be caught and addressed? Where were all the other "qualified" tech men?
And with no tool to verify, the tech men are back on the "visual" tech which can be a hard sell to most racers at the end of the night.
Tech men need legs to stand on in the tech barn -- Give them measurements WITH tooling to check things to be able to make definitive decisions.
This new tool has been much needed (for quite a while now from the sounds of it.)
I don't know the politics and dollars behind the decision, so I can't comment on that. It seem to be that holding the line on the existing rules and simply adding a tool to check it would have been the better decision, but again, I am not privy to the decision making process as Don is.
I don't like rule changes or more tech tools to purchase either, but it is what it is at this point.
It would be interesting to know just how many tech tools are purchased -- that would be a good indicator of how this will be addressed in the field. Considering that heads weren't being pulled for the past couple of years, I suspect that won't change much at the local level.

When the tool is available it must be used at the local level to get our sport back on track. Since the beginning of this discovery we have seen heads that have as many as 5 angles. So now the sport has heads that are a serious violation of the rules not to say anything about “spirit and intent”. It must come down to the promoters “allowing” the inspection of the head for the sport to get back on track.

The 2021 rules are the same as the 2022 rules. Nothing is changing in the written language. Only thing added in additional print is the tool to check the depth of the cut under the bottom cut.
just making sure the 2022 rules are the same as 2021 with the exception of the valve seat angles tool and utilizing the new lift tool correct ?

Back