Auto fuse box help .

flattop1

Dawg 89
Found my headlight issue . Loose fuse wiggle it no power wiggle more power .
Question besides wedging a match book cover inbetween to make contact . Any good ideas for a fix . Maybe tin the prongs so they are thicker ? Tried twisting them no go .
Dang near inaccessible. Can barley see it . IMG_20191123_170626655.jpgIMG_20191123_170609532.jpg

Not me thats for sure . Mini fuse up under the dash with a million other things in the way only way too actually see the socket is with a snake camera . Taking the fuse box out looks like a week long job , then you gotta fix anything ya break .

There is only witness mark on one blade of the new fuse . So trying to get a pick in there may work . It must have been the first peice they installed under the dash , I dislike welding with a mirror and working via scope comes right after that .

Without knowing the car to look it up per the pictures probably if you unplug the cables going to the fuse box it would come out easy just taking out a couple of screws.

Once out you could figure out how to work the locking device which holds it together or holds the suspect cable in. Likely you will need a special tool to remove cable or connector without damaging it. Because I was able to take my tools with me when I retired I have a complete set of removal tools for "round" pin connectors. But that's not what you have. Once removed a very small flat blade screw driver may be all you need to unhook the connector from the box and fix it if its connection is bad. Once you remove the 'box' you can also put an ohm meter between cable ends wiggling the cable to see where it's bad. But sometimes just removing the cable will make it appear good again during testing when it's not.

Your problem may not even be in the box or the fuse holder. It may be another connection maybe one which connects the box to the firewall and your moving and replacing the fuse is actually effecting another connection. It's probably a bad crimp on a connector but you have to have your two hands on the connector to really find it.

My experience with a dealer has been 40/60 at best .

Paul ; thats pretty much it in a nut shell . A 2010 lincoln MKS .
The fuse box is not on the fire wall its on the kick panel above the E brake .
Your right no way to know if its the socket or a crimp . The only thing that makes me suspect the socket is the fuse wobbles and there is only one blade with a mark that indicates a connection .

Which wires 😊, if only it was a. 65 chevy biscayne . You could lay on the floor and fix it . Nowadays theres barely room for your feet in the foot box .
I going to give it another look see .

Found this picture on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/1327928154?i...sAktm4kswghQt-ekVBOezs5F0mNNHW6BoCLSIQAvD_BwE

Looking at it I'd bet the fuse clip is attached to a circuit board and to fix it your either going to take the fuse box apart and resolder a connection or replace the fuse box. I'd now suggest going to a bone yard, removing and buying one for probably cheap. You'll also learn how to take one out without screwing up your vehicle learning.

Me, i'd probably take it out, take it apart and screw it up first trying to fix it before going to a bone yard to get another one. ... :)

It doesn't look like it will be all that hard to take out and doing it first at a bone yard will help.

Just finished up with the fuse socket . I was able to do it . Should have been a dentist .
Wedge the snake camera in position . A new set of dental picks . After several attempts i shifted the contact into a position where it works .
Thanks for the Help . Now to reassemble the headlights and grille. Tommorow.
Just a fyi , i burnt one up repowering a wire . Of course i simply feed hot into it with out breaking the original circut .
By the way these are the HID style complete with ballast , not your starndard incandescent bulb or led .

Last edited:
Back