Axle fuel pumps

Pulse pumps do work well, tell us why you want or the benefit of an axle pump? I could see a water pump, but I want my engine to keep running without the axle turning.

It acctually not for a kart but to put on a micro sprint. The pulse pump will not push it up from the tail tank to the shut off valve witch is higher then the carb. I don'want to run a electric pump because I don't want to run a battery and regulater. Could run a pump off the motor if I could find one small enough, it only has to make 7 or 8 psi(only has to feed a Mikuni 41 mm carb).

Get one off a kohler 301 or a smallblock chevy and a eccentric on the axle.
Or an evinrude i think 1969 50 horse . Ill look for the number .

Thanks flattop the chevy fuel pump I thought of,but I'm running achole through it so it would have to be a Holley and have to figure out a mounting system(has a suspecian system) can be done. I was going to use the kick starter ans
d convert it to a pump drive.

Obviously you are running a different class than I ran (600 micro), but I have to ask, since it was such an easy setup to manage, what is your aversion to running a battery, regulator and electric fuel pump?

Cordless drill battery and a small pump should work. Look at a Holley mighty mite pump. I power my 02 sensors on my dyno with craftsman batteries

It acctually not for a kart but to put on a micro sprint. The pulse pump will not push it up from the tail tank to the shut off valve witch is higher then the carb. I don'want to run a electric pump because I don't want to run a battery and regulater. Could run a pump off the motor if I could find one small enough, it only has to make 7 or 8 psi(only has to feed a Mikuni 41 mm carb).

My snowmobile makes over 160 hp is almost 900cc and a pulse pump feeds (2) 40mm Mikuni flatslides. You don't need pressure with a carb setup, you need adequate volume. Horsepower is directly related to GPH of fuel consumed. Also, pulse pumps push better than they suck. A good pump with a good pulse signal could be found if you wanted and maybe a primer bulb like an outboard has. I would also mount the fuel closer instead of at the tail. How much do you really need to carry? Post up some pics when you get your system complete. I am very interested.

Last edited:
Phiddy on a snowmobile your tank might be mounted closer to the engine than mine. I have 3 to 4 ft. of -6 steel breaded line to the pulse pump it rises 4 to 6 inches in hight the pump has 1in.of hose between the motor and pump. The next section is going to cause the problem,it rises another 3 to5 in. to the shut off valve. Rules state the driver must be able to reach the shut off. I have run the car before with a side tank with shutoff on floor pan. just with how high the shutoff is now could create a lean condition. never had a problem with pulse pump before.

So the fuel line come from tank to pump . Then pump to shutoff then on to the engine .
If Phiddy's assessment of the pulse pump pushing better then pulling . Moving the pump closer too the tank might be an answer .
Rule : reach the actual shut off or remote operated shut off?

pulse pumps have a short line to supply vacum to the pump. shorter the better. We have had trouble with the pumps before when the line for vacum has been to long. The general is closer to the motor thebetter off you are.

Fully understand . The line needs too be stiff nylon or even metal .
Possibly two would do it . electric still best option if you dont want to fab up mechanical.

Back