Axle key

I bought a 2016 prowler with a ktm on it today. The axle has holes for to hold key for sprocket in place. Where can I find a key with the little studs in the ends? Is this a normal set up for the big engines? New to this so thanks in advance

Is it a 40mm axle? If so, those are 8mm keys with pegs, and are available from most sprint kart shops... If it's a "standard" 1.25" axle, not sure. Got a pic?

I believe it is a "standard" 1.25" axle but I will double check tonight and get a picture of it. Just picked up the kart yesterday. The axle has numerous holes in it where it looks like normal keys would go but does not appear to have grooves in it for the keys. I will do some more investigating tonight. Thanks for the help!

The key had 3 pegs on it. There are 4 holes where the sprocket mounts for aligning either way I'm assuming. 1.25" axle. Axle key is .250 wide and .125 thick 1" long.
Holes in the axle are .725 (roughly) center to center. Went to comet kart and they did not have one.

Attachments

• KIMG0063.JPG
    KIMG0063.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 44
Odd. Looks like stress risers in the worst possible place... Though my 40mm axle has 'em too, so... Anyhow, I'd do some searching to see if that hole spacing matches a metric key for karting and go from there... Or ask the previous owner what they are... I'll take a pic of one of my keys tomorrow with spacing, and let you know if it's close to that .725

I found the one in chargers website. I have not called but reached out on Facebook with no response. Does anyone know the dimensions of the 3 peg key they sell

The sets i have are .250 or 6.31 mm peg .
.880 c/c and 1.20 roughly
Pegs are .187and .121 tall
The key iself is .125

Last edited:
The pegs on the key I have are .250 by .120 tall. The holes in the axle were .725 center to center is the difference in what you have. I can't measure the old key itself as it was tore up pretty good. 2 of the pegs were ripped off.

Back