Axle moving. How to lock down?

jasonmorris1809

Installed a new 30mm axle last week on our cadet kart after it had damage from a loose sprocket hub. Ran 2 sessions fine yesterday but the axle shifted at the start of the heat race and broke the chain. I had the set screws as tight as they would go on the bearings. Any tips on locking an axle down?

Yes I have the same problems with our kid kart. Only thing that helped was to toss all the set screws and put lock collars on. Think the smaller axles are harder and the set screws can't bite in.

I used to use a small drill to make a pocket for the set screw to bottom out in. I would then Loctite the set screws. Works good. That was 40 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. Amazing.

I am with Al on this we have dimpled the axle to seat the set screws. Set screws will hold the axle on our paved sprint track, we found collars stiffened the axle causing chassis tuning issues.

A race car builder here in our town said to drill out the threads in the collars on the bearings and drill the axle and tap it and run short bolt in. Said it would free it up. Dont know but his stuff wins all over.

Back