Axle Stiffener

rstraub2

I was reading a PMI parts catalog the other day, and saw that they sell an axle stiffener. It basically looks like a 3" or 4" wide axle collar, and is used to locally stiffen the axle (I presume). I was wondering what condition would merit this part? I scale at 445 lbs and race on a slick track on Burris tires, and was wondering if I could benefit at my weight. Has anyone tried one, and did they notice a difference?

Right or wrong, I have two axle collars on the right bearing hanger to position the axles, and the left side is pinned with a bolt through the axle. I also run my bumper bolts tight on both rails. Is this the best set-up for my weight and track condition?

Thanks,

Those things came on a DAP kart I bought new about 1980, It had short ones for axle ends and 1 longer one that fit between the brake and sprocket hubs.

I was reading a PMI parts catalog the other day, and saw that they sell an axle stiffener. It basically looks like a 3" or 4" wide axle collar, and is used to locally stiffen the axle (I presume). I was wondering what condition would merit this part? I scale at 445 lbs and race on a slick track on Burris tires, and was wondering if I could benefit at my weight. Has anyone tried one, and did they notice a difference?

Right or wrong, I have two axle collars on the right bearing hanger to position the axles, and the left side is pinned with a bolt through the axle. I also run my bumper bolts tight on both rails. Is this the best set-up for my weight and track condition?

Thanks,

Only track condition that would warrant the wide collar would be middle of the summer place like Selinsgrove day race when calcium was used and track is making extreme bite, then with your weight you might see a benefit.

Only track condition that would warrant the wide collar would be middle of the summer place like Selinsgrove day race when calcium was used and track is making extreme bite, then with your weight you might see a benefit.

OPPOSITE!!!

You run a stiff axle on a soft racetrack to press the tire into the track. A stiff axle binds a chassis on a hard track. Note the difference between asphalt axles and dirt axles.

The axle stiffeners are for road course karts.

OPPOSITE!!!

You run a stiff axle on a soft racetrack to press the tire into the track. A stiff axle binds a chassis on a hard track. Note the difference between asphalt axles and dirt axles.

Cool thanks for clearing that up, I did a quick check to try to help as I know the op guess I read some bad info my bad.

OPPOSITE!!!

Joey,

To take it a step further, PMI (Slack) has long been known as the top player overall in indoor concrete racing. For many years, alot of people were using these stiffeners in the RR area for indoor racing.

Going off the idea that stiffer = more work the tire does on that corner, what would YOU say the reason would be that you would see an axle stiffener for indoor racing wheere there already is a ton of bite.

I know my answer, curious as to yours.

Thanks

It should make it a lot harder for the left rear to unload. The very few times I've been indoor racing the entire effort is keeping the leftsides in the track.

I agree with JP, I'm in Slack country, own one ourselfs (Xpect), I've never seen them run a stiffener on dirt, but almost all their indoor concrete karts have them in the adult classes.
I'll be there tomorrow and ask Nick, as now I'm interested.

We used to get axles from Ivers.
That were taper cut on one side specifically for syrup racing.

Bringing back an old post.
I probably do not have the best comprehension on what the different wall thicknesses do, especially on a concrete/coke syrup application. From what I can gather, it seems a thick wall will keep the right side from overloading and a thin wall will keep the left side from transferring weight too fast. Am I on the right track here? Someone at a bar in Syracuse last weekend told me he used to run a similar axle setup years ago to what flattop1 mentioned. Seems like a thin wall with a right side stiffener would create a similar scenario.

With this info, what would be the more preferable general application for concrete/coke syrup racing?
Thick wall/no stiffener
Thin wall/no stiffener
Thin wall/right stiffener

I should mention this is for a tall, heavy driver.
Thanks!

Thats a great question !
We have ran all three set-ups .
As JWD stated its all about keeping the leftside in the track .

Thanks! We’re getting better about keeping the left side on the ground but to get where I need, I ended up coming across the scales about 50lbs overweight. I’m gonna diet and shave as much weight off the kart as possible before the next race in February (with keeping costs low). Ran a thick wall last weekend. I have a thin wall and a thick wall in my shop. If there is not too noticeable of a difference between the two, I’ll go lighter. If it is really worth it though and still lighter than the thick wall by itself, I’d be fine trying this $20 part. Thanks again!

For what it’s worth, we’ve always ran the thick wall stuff indoors. Anytime we went with a thin wall the kart felt lazy

Back