balance shaft bearing removal on gx340

jasonb

Could someone tell me how to remove the balance shaft bearings on side cover and inside block on gx340. Thanks in advance

We used to remove pilot bearings with a dowel and grease. I remember someone here saying they used wet newspaper and a dowel that fit the bearing bore. So pack some wet newspaper in the bore and tap a close fitting wooden dowel into the bearing, the hydraulic pressure pushes the bearing out. I would support the back side. Some also say place it in an oven, the bearing falls out.

We used to remove pilot bearings with a dowel and grease. I remember someone here saying they used wet newspaper and a dowel that fit the bearing bore. So pack some wet newspaper in the bore and tap a close fitting wooden dowel into the bearing, the hydraulic pressure pushes the bearing out. I would support the back side. Some also say place it in an oven, the bearing falls out.

Yep I know a guy who does the wet paper method .

If you Cary it into your Local Auto zone they have a tool behind most counters the will pop it out

Thanks guys I appreciate it a lot. And thanks again mike for taking time to ta;lk to me this evening

You bet , a guy building one up here in Illinois took his to auto zone last week they have some kinda slide hammer tool . they popped the internal bearings out rite on the counter top

Put the bare block and sidecover in an oven at 350- 400 degrees face down and they will fall out.P.S. remove your crank bearings first, this will turn them blue and is probably not good for a bearing you are going to use

Last edited:
Mike, what tool did they use @ A-Zone? I've been heating mine and dropping them out as others have mentioned. I've even pin punched them and left them in place (just in case for some reason the balance shaft ever has to go back in - NOT!)
Maybe I have another excuse to buy a tool that will quicken the process a bit. I'm sure it will pay for itself, right? I've got a whole shop full of tools like that! :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Remember if you do choose to "drive" the bearing out of the block with a dowel, be sure to support the back side of the block where the bearing sits when doing so. This is a very thin area and you may "drive" a hole in the block. Don't panic if you do. You can repair it with a freeze plug if you do. Just epoxy it in place after press fitting. Welding would work also of course. If you do choose the "drive it out" method, you can use grease (thicker the better) or bread. Yes I said bread. Grease will sometimes squirt through the bearing not creating enough pressure to move the bearing. Heating the block seems to work best. Doesn't really take that much heat to get them loose. Those pullers with the knockers would work well I would think. Good luck.

A propane torch cost about $20.
You can heat the bearing boss from the outside focusing heat on the balance shaft bearing area only and it will fall out. Use a wet rag to cool the area near the main bearing if your concerned it's getting too hot.

Back