Ball joints

flattop1

Dawg 89
Three -4 years ago I replaced all the ball joints with some cheap ones from the interweb . Yesterday i replaced a abs sensor . The vehicle has maybe three or Four thousand miles since . I looked at the upper balljoint and the rubber boot is shot . Knowing full well you get what you pay for im still surprised that the rubbers totally gone . I guess it needs more grease .

Yes i think thats where the last set came from , before these on daughters car .
I m not sure how they faired as she drove an sold it. I do see it around so i know the wheels ain't feel off ;) .
Im not changing them , fix the rusty brake lines and a new happy owner .

I need to replace the ball joints on my ‘96 F350. I should also do the radius arm bushings but the nut seems to be frozen/rusted on the arm. I’m not looking forward to that job 🤦🏼

My 01 wasn't too bad definitely need two pepole and a cheater bar for the maunal press . I would grind one side of the nut off till it split .
But i dont have a gas hatchet . Or sawzall the bolt off .

That’s an idea - didn’t think of that. I can find a replacement nut, clean the threads and be back in business. Maybe it will help the ‘clunk’ I get every so often.

I’ll replace all the bushings on the front end while at it...

Last edited:
My toy is an 86 first generation 4 runner, there must be 100 different kind of ball joints as cheap as 12.00 each.
Moog isnt what it was many years ago, so I went with Beck Arnley come to find out they were the supplier of OEM toyota ball joints at a discount price

I sold auto parts for years while managing a mom and pop store. Beck Arnley is a great company to deal with and a lot of times they don’t even manufacture their parts they sell. They buy dealer/manufacturer direct and rebox. As far as a good affordable line MevoTech is a good quality piece. Moog you have to watch out for now. Same great box but two very different lines of parts. The old school Moog and an R series which is a China direct garage line.

Ive been a parts guyand in and around alignment shops my entire career... 1 word... MOOG
.... and everything greasable.. no "permanently adjusted" if there is any way in the world to avoid it... and good quality grease at every oil change

Back