Base line timing

bhill

Got a motor when took apart to install new cam, noticed ther isn't any dot on crank gear. Can someone tell me away to figure out where cam and crank gears should come together. I have a degree wheel. Alittle lost

with piston at top dead center , Look at the cam and find the middle point of the overlap. That is where the two lobes meet. There will be a spot where they will lift the valves, or lifters approximately the same amount. the exhaust is closing and the intake is opening. Put that pointing to the center of the lifter boss. that will get you close enough to fine tune it with the degree wheel. Usually won't be off more than one cog.Use the centerline timing to get it exact.

Or look up the specs and see the timing of the center-line of Of either lobe and set the degree wheel to that degree , install cam with that lobe pointing exactly towards the lifter hole.

There should be a mark is it on the crank throw.
If you have a old crank look at it .
Someone's surely got a crank out.

I'm wondering if its in-line with the flywheel key?
All the crank turning articles and cam timing and not one good picture or explanation of where the dot is.
I've only got some flathead cranks with me so they won't help.

Hold the crankshaft at TDC the mark will be 5 teeth clockwise. Some are very faint but all I checked are marked. Count the tooth that is straight up at TDC as 1 the 5 th will be marked.

So atTDC your saying crank mark should be 5 teeth clock wise. Now is the starting point of teeth say..... No. one tooth is that gonna be at the centerline of cylinder?

Crank journal at 12 o'clock dot on crank will be 5 teeth clockwise. That's it
We're turning 8200 thanks for input

Back